This week there are a couple of great deals on organic apples. Though organics are all the rage, when on a budget, it’s hard to pay that premium. Getting organics on sale is the way to go. It is also important to be aware of which items are the most contaminated.
When choosing organic produce, it’s a good idea to know what items are on the “Dirty Dozen.” This is a list of produce that is most heavily contaminated with pesticide residue. This list changes from time to time, so stay up to date by visiting EWG's 2012 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce™. They also have a list of the least contaminated foods. The clean fifteen are produce items that probably aren’t worth the organic premium.
Even knowing which items are part of the dirty dozen, it can still make it hard to pay the extra money when you can buy the same item for half the price. It’s all about choices. If its something your family eats rarely, it’s not worth the premium. But if if your family eats apples daily, especially children, it’s best to just pay a little more. Washing and peeling apples isn’t enough. Those pesticides penetrate into the apple.
Why avoid pesticides? Pesticides are meant to kill insects. They are a poison. While in small amounts of pesticides may not harm humans, long term exposure might eventually cause problems. There are various studies that link pesticide exposure to health problems. The biggest risk is to young children. Their organs are still developing and exposure to these toxins may cause health issues.
This week consider adding a few organics to your shopping list.
A few budget friendly organic products are:
Grocery Outlet’s Organic Classic Salads, 2 for $5. They also carry quite a few bargain organic items throughout the store. Many of these discount organic items are cheaper than what you might find for conventional items at your local grocery store.
Safeway’s Organic Cameo Apples $1.49 a pound are by far the best deal this week. They also have organic mini sweet peppers $2.99 a pint.
QFC has a special on Dave’s Killer Bread for $3.99. This local bread may cost a little more, but it is both organic and free of fillers. They also have organic green or red leaf lettuce, 2 for $5 and Organic Fuji apples for $1.99 a pound.
Here are the rest of the notable specials this week at Grocery Outlet, Saar’s, QFC and Safeway.
• Organic Classic Salads, 2 for $5
• Strawberries, 1lb for $1.99
• Asparagus $1.99 a bunch
• Avocados 2 for $1
• Seacatch Tilapia Fillets, frozen 2 lbs for $5.99
• Joe’s Crab Shack Steamed Meals $2.99 in the freezer
Make sure to clip your coupons for $1 off cheese
• Silver State Chunk Cheese 1lb of assorted flavors only $2.99 with coupon
• California Premium Sliced Cheese 1.5lb assorted flavors for only $4.99 with coupon
There are always plenty of other bargains that vary from store to store, so take your time, browse and always check the expiration dates.
Saar’s Market Place
Make sure to visit their website to print out their coupons. I’ve still been getting their ads delivered, but I’ve been told they are planning to switch to online ads. If you haven’t gotten your Saar’s ad, be sure to visit their site for the coupons.
Coupons to clip this week
• Tillamook Yogurt 10 for $4
• Western Family Butter lb for $1.99
• Kellogg’s Bonus Pack Cereal 2 for $5
• Granny Smith or Jonagold Apples 58 cents a pound
• Fresh Large Sweet Seedless Navel Oranges 48 cents a pound
• Fresh Red or Green Seedless Grapes $1.88 a pound
They’ve also got great specials on meats, many of which are under $2 a pound. The specials on meat this week are too numerous to list, but the ground beef, family packs of chicken breasts or pork shoulder all all under $2 a pound.
Their produce specials include avocados, 2 for $1, red and green bell peppers 2 for 78 cents and red or green leaf lettuce for 98 cents. Finally, they’ve got an amazing deal on red potatoes, 5lbs for only $1.
Make sure to bring your card for these bargains. With the rising gas prices, gas points are like gold.
• Chicken Leg Quarters for 59 cents a pound, sold in a 10 lb bag.
• Jennie-O Ground Turkey, packs of 3lbs are 50 cents off with your Just for U coupon. This means 3lbs for $7.49 or about $2.50 a pound. Even ground beef is hard to find for this price.
• Corned Beef $2.99 a pound for your St. Patricks Day event, though you might want to freeze it until then
• Organic Cameo Apples $1.49 a pound, by far the best deal this week
• Organic Mini Sweet Peppers $2.99 a pint
• Ataulfo Mangos 10 for $10
• Safeway Farms White Mushrooms $1.79 a pound
• Chicken of the Sea Chunk Light Tuna 10 for $10
• Mt. Olive Pickles, buy one get one FREE, 24oz select varieties
• Safeway Select Olive Oil, 16.9 oz for $3.99 with coupon, clip or use Just for U online.
Must shop QFC specials with your QFC card
• Whole Chicken 88 cents a pound, local, Daper Valley All Natural chicken
• QFC butter $1.88 a pound
• Organic Fuji Apples $1.99 a pound
• Del Monte or S&W Tomatoes 10 for $10
• Kroger Beans 79 cents a can
• Nalley Chili 10 for $10
• Cadbury Creme Eggs 69 cents each
Please be sure to browse through my past grocery bargain articles. Besides the weekly specials, there are recipes and other shopping tips.