Grilled summer vegetables are the perfect side dish to serve at barbeques during the summer months. At this time of year the farmers' markets offer their harvest of peppers, eggplant, zucchini, corn as well as other vegetables that are in season.
This grilled summer vegetables recipe is versatile and easy to prepare. . Add or substitute your favourite vegetables. Use it as a base for pasta salads, topping for pizzas, a sandwich filling, or serve it as a vegetarian dish.
Grilled Summer Vegetables Recipe
• 2 small eggplants, cut in 1/2 inch rounds
• 2 small zucchini, cut in 1/2 inch rounds
• 2 red bell peppers cut in quarters
• 2 yellow peppers cut in quarters
• 1 red onion cut in 1/4 inch rounds
• 1 sweet onion cut in 1/4 inch rounds
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1/4 crushed pepper flakes (optional)
• 5 fresh basil leaves, torn in pieces
1. Mix the eggplants, zucchini, red bell peppers, yellow peppers, red onion, sweet onion, and garlic in large bowl.
2. Season vegetables with salt, pepper to taste.
3. Add the red crushed pepper flakes.
4. Add the extra virgin olive oil and mix well to coat the vegetables.
5. Spread out the vegetables on a large baking pan.
6. Set barbeque to medium heat.
7. Place pan of vegetables on barbeque and grill until tender (vegetables will pierce easily with fork).
8. Remove pan and place the vegetables in a serving bowl.
9. Add the cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.
10. Mix well.
11. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
12. Serve warm or at room temperature.