Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Greyhound bus collides with car killing one and injuring 18

Greyhound bus involved in collision
Greyhound bus involved in collision

On an eastern Indiana highway, a Greyhound bus travelling to New York City collided with a car. One person was killed and 18 others were injured. The accident occurred on Interstate 70 near Richmond.

Richmond is about 70 miles east of Indianapolis and 35 miles west of Dayton, Ohio. The bus planned on making a stop in Dayton. Law enforcement authorities had to temporarily close all of the lanes of the highway. The highway was closed so authorities could work the scene of the crash for approximately three hours and the collision is still being investigated.

Wayne County spokesman, Jonathan Duke reported that there had been one death and 18 other people were transported by ambulance and helicopter to area hospitals. He did not share the extent of any of the injuries. The driver of the bus was airlifted to a hospital in Indianapolis according to a Wayne County Sheriff’s department dispatcher.

The condition of the driver was not released at that time. Reid Memorial Hospital in Richmond received 20 injured people who were treated for minor injuries such as cuts, scrapes and bruises. Hospital spokesman, Larry Price stated over half of them had already been discharged.

Price said, “I would describe them as walking and wounded. At last check it didn’t appear that we were going to have to admit someone.” One witness to the collision, Brandi Schroeder described the vehicles saying the bus ended up off the shoulder of the eastbound lane with extensive damage to the front.

The other car was in the inbound land and crushed. Schroeder said the other vehicle was “so badly flattened that she couldn’t see the wheels or if it had been a car or truck.” She went on to say, “I’ve seen a lot of accidents, and I’ve never seen anything like this.”

The Greyhound bus was carrying 24 passengers and the driver. Greyhound spokeswoman, Alexandria Pedrini revealed that two new buses were dispatched to Richmond to get the passengers. She added that she was unable to release any information on the driver.

©Kelly Cozzone, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. The first two sentences may be reposted with a link back to the original article.

Report this ad