Traditionally, new road races require some time before they generate a sustained following that can draw a high runner turnout to its event. The state’s longest continuously held road race, the Paris Mountain 20k (renamed the Road Warrior Half Marathon in 2012) had just 14 competitors in its inaugural running back in 1970.
Last year, a staggering 1,500 participants turned out for the running of the first ever St. Patty’s Day Dash and Bash 5K in downtown Greenville. This speaks volumes to the race’s organization and ability to promote the event throughout the community.
With the help of Zaxby’s and Jarden Process Solutions, event organizers hope for an even bigger turnout this year as a USATF certified 10K course is included with the 5K.
As of Wednesday afternoon, over 1,500 participants have signed up for the two races this Saturday, March 16th; further indication that this event is well on its way to becoming a mainstay in the Upstate running scene.
Both courses will begin at the intersection of Main and Augusta Street in Greenville’s historic West End. The 5K course remains the same as last year with the 10k taking runners through the downtown and into Cleveland Park before looping back along the Reedy River via the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Both races finish with runners lapping around the warning track of Fluor Field (home of the Greenville Drive) where they then cross home plate.
The 5K and 10K are both scheduled to begin at 8am.
The festivities will continue well into the morning following the conclusion of the races. Some of the after-race highlights include:
- $500 Cash Giveaways (must be present to win)
- Costume contest with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place cash prizes
- A ticket for a FREE GREEN BEER for each runner (only available with valid ID)
- Live 80's music performed by Might McFly
- St. Patty's 1/4 Mile Kids' Fun Run 8:00am)
- Trackless train
- Bounce houses
- Face painting
- Golf lesson from The First Tee of Greenville
- Animal petting from Greenville County Animal Care Services
Online registration will remain open through Thursday at 4pm: http://go-greenevents.com/event/id/980
Registration will also be available at Fluor Field on Friday, March 15th from noon to 7PM and then again on Saturday, March 16th (6:30-7:30am) before the races.
Visit the event’s website at: http://www.stpattysdashandbash.com/
Full Results: http://go-greenevents.com/resultsdetail/id/980
Other St. Patrick’s Day races around the region and Upstate this weekend
- March 14th- 2013 Catch the Leprechaun 5K (Mt. Pleasant, 6:30pm)
- March 16th- St. Pat’s in 5 Points Get to the Green (Columbia; 10K-7:30am, 5K-8:00am)
- March 16th- Run for the Clovers 5K (Gaffney, 8:30am)
- March 16th- Hilton Head Shamrock Run 5K (Hilton Head, 8:00am)
- March 16th- Shamrock Run 5/10K (Asheville, NC 8:45am)
- March 16th- Shamrock 4 Miler (Charlotte, NC 8:00am)