Even with society being firmly rooted in the digital age, there are still a lot of newspapers floating around. Don't throw them away. Black and white newsprint has many practical uses. Here are a few of the best ways to use your old newspaper:
- Cleaning glass. Rags tend to leave lint on your glass and mirrored surfaces and paper toweling leaves streaks. But wadded up newspaper works perfectly.
- Weed barrier. Lay old newspaper down in your garden beds to retard weed growth. It will slowly decompose nourishing the soil and providing a good environment for earthworms.
- Pet cage lining. Newspaper is good for lining bird, guinea pig, or hamster cages. First lay down a layer of newsprint flat in the bottom. Then you can shred newspaper and use it for bedding if needed. When you clean your pet cage, simply gather it all up and toss it in the compost pile.
- Gift wrap. Green up your gift-giving occasions and use newspaper instead of expensive wrapping paper.
- Newspaper as fire starter. Not only does newspaper make excellent kindling for starting fires, but you can also roll it up and use it as fire logs.