Environmentally friendly festivities are just as easy to plan as old-fashioned events which are not so green. If you choose local, seasonal, organic, recycled or reusable items, you can make almost any event green. By re-purposing what you already have, buying only what you need, sharing and swapping, you limit waste destined for the landfill.
How green do you want your event to be?
Green your event is simple. Eco-activists these days hold green events of all types from recycled weddings and organic Halloween, to sustainable kid’s parties. The limit to how green your big bash will be is totally up to you. A green event is one that ultimately utilizes ecologically friendly ways and means to help protect the environment, both now and in the future.
Ways to "green" any event
1. Send invitations out electronically. If the occasion calls for printed invites, look into recycled paper or paper from sustainable sources, and try printing with vegetable inks.
2. Choose a venue that already practices environmentally friendly processes in event hosting.
3. Work with suppliers that have already made a commitment to support your green event.
4. Food can make a party memorable or it can break a party – and the planet. Reduce the carbon footprint of your catering and the amount of waste you throw away the next day. Also, vegetarian or vegan is always more environmentally friendly than meat platters. Changing diet is the one thing that any single person can do to impact global warming.
5. You can wash or throw away reusable dishes, utensils, tablecloths, and napkins instead of throwing them away.
6. Decorate your party using greenery from the garden, organic seasonal fruit, potted herbs, twigs, and fresh flowers.
7. Dress green. Save some cash and help out the environment by popping in to a vintage clothes store. Halloween has never been so green.
8. Create an elegant ambiance, by lighting your party with eco-friendly candles, made from beeswax or soybean. Choose a variety of sizes and shapes for indoors and hang lanterns outdoors.
Benefits of green event planning
There are a number of benefits of hosting or organizing a green event. You will help the planet, but also stand out from the crowd. You also conserve vital environmental resources, stop waste from entering over-burdened landfills, and help develop a market for innovators and entrepreneurs to create fanciful delights for your next celebration.