Since it is definitely too cold right now to be thinking of gardening, and with the Wisconsin Garden Expo still a few weeks away, hosting a Super Bowl 2014 party is a fun option to help with cabin fever.
Here are some deliciously easy recipes for appetizers that are sure to be a hit.
Bloody Mary Dip
24 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup V-8 juice
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 large green bell pepper, minced
1/2 cup finely minced onion
1/3 cup finely minced celery
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Chill 1-2 hours.
- Serve cold with tortilla and bagel chips and cut up fresh vegetables.
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup diced fresh jalapeño chiles
Salt and pepper to taste
Garlic powder to taste
1 can refrigerated large buttermilk biscuits
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, chiles, salt, pepper and garlic powder until well combined.
- Set aside.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits. With rolling pin, roll out each biscuit into about 1/8-inch-thick round.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon cheese filling onto center of each.
- Bring up dough around filling; pinch to seal tightly.
- Place seam side down on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle tops with additional salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Serve warm.
1 envelope Italian dressing mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons minced green onion
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 (8 ounce) block Monterey jack cheese, chilled
1 (8 ounce) block cheddar cheese, chilled
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese or Mozzarella cheese, chilled
- Whisk together dressing mix, vegetable oil, vinegar, green onion water and sugar; set aside.
- Cut Monterey jack cheese into 1/4 inch cubes. Repeat with cheddar cheese and cream or Mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange cheese in rows in a shallow 2-quart baking dish, alternating Monterey jack cheese, cheddar cheese and cream or Mozzarella cheese.
- Pour marinade over cheese. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Drain marinade; arrange cheese on a platter in rows.
- Serve with crackers and toothpicks.
Layered pizza dip
1 (8 ounce) container fat-free cream cheese
2 cloves garlic 1/2 cup pizza sauce
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
1 tomato, chopped
1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix softened cream cheese with garlic.
- Layer ingredients in order given in a pie plate.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until dip is hot and bubbling and cheese is melted.
- Serve with crackers, breadsticks, crusty fresh bread slices, baked pita chips or baked chips.
1 (9 ounce) can bean dip
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 medium tomato, seeded and diced
2 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
Additional sour cream for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread bean dip over bottom of 7 x 11-inch baking dish.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning mix and garlic; mix well.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over bean dip.
- Grate cheddar cheese over top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle tomato, onions, olives over dip.
- Garnish with additional sour cream, if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Chili chicken strips
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup fresh salsa
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 cups Fritos
1 teaspoon chili powder
3 cups vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and salsa. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- Cut chicken into approximately 24 strips.
- Beat egg in a shallow bowl.
- In another bowl, crush Fritos and stir in chili powder.
- Dip chicken strips in egg, then coat with seasoned crushed Fritos.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a deep, heavy skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Fry chicken strips a few at a time until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with creamy salsa.
Fried dill pickles
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup beer
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons garlic salt
3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Cut dill pickles in slices as thick as a silver dollar.
- Mix remaining ingredients.
- Dip pickle slices in batter and quick fry at 375 degrees F in oil until the pickle slices float to the top.