Here are 10 easy things you can do today, acting as if the Great California ShakeOut earthquake drill set for October 17 at 10:17 a.m. is the real thing:
- Put shoes and a flashlight under your bed.
- Put a case of water in your car.
- Get a radio with new batteries or put it on your next shopping list.
- Decide which out-of-state phone number you can use as a central number for friends and family to call.
- Get change for $200 in one-dollar bills for your emergency cash supply.
- Decide with your family on the outdoor meeting place you'll gather after the shaking stops.
- Call the Redlands YMCA to find out when their next CPR/First Aid training class is scheduled.
- Locate the first aid kit in your house or put one on your shopping list.
- Find out if your employer is registered for the ShakeOut drill, and if not, find out who can make that decision.
- Get out a backpack. Tomorrow we create your grab-n-go emergency kit.
Continuing our countdown comments as part of this series leading up to the ShakeOut, please let us know what you would do today to get ready if you knew a real quake was coming to Southern California on October 17 at 10:17 a.m.