‘Gravity’ eclipsed ‘Captain Phillips’ to secure the top spot at the domestic box office for a second consecutive weekend, according to industry figures released Monday.
The dramatic space thriller starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney earned a stellar $43.1 million to push its total ticket sales to $122.3 million since opening Oct. 4.
‘Captain Phillips,’ a hijacking thriller on the high seas starring Tom Hanks, debuted at No. 2, earning $25.7 million.
Animated family sequel ‘Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2’ slipped one notch to No. 3 in its third weekend, earning $13.7 million for a total of $77.6 million since opening Sept. 27.
Violent action sequel ‘Machete Kills’ opened at No. 4 with $3.8 million in ticket sales.
Crime thriller ‘Runner Runner’ starring Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck fell two spots to No. 5 in its second weekend, earning $3.7 million for a total of $14.1 million since opening Oct. 4.
BOX OFFICE NOTES
- ‘Gravity’ is the 24th film of 2013 to cross the $100 million mark in ticket sales, which is five more than the record-breaking 2012 had at the same point last year.
- For the year, films in 2013 have sold $8.4 billion in tickets, according to movie tracking site Box Office Mojo, which is well ahead of the $7.7 billion that 2012 films had earned through the same date last year.
FRIDAY’S NATIONWIDE MOVIE RELEASES
- A shy outcast unleashes her rage in R-rated horror remake ‘Carrie’ starring Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore. See the official trailer here.
- A security expert must tap his skills to break out from a high-tech prison in R-rated action-thriller ‘Escape Plan’ starring Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger. See the official trailer here.
- The story of underground watchdog website WikiLeaks is exposed in R-rated drama ‘The Fifth Estate’ starring Benedict Cumberbatch as founder Julian Assange. See the official trailer here.
TUESDAY’S DVD/BLU-RAY RELEASES
- Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCartney team up to take down the bad guys in R-rated buddy cop comedy ‘The Heat.’
- Comedian Kevin Hart performs his stand-up in R-rated concert documentary ‘Let Me Explain.’
- Humans use giant armored robots to battle alien sea creatures in epic sci-fi action adventure ‘Pacific Rim.’ Rated PG-13.