A grasshopper pie is a minty, fresh and cool way Southerners get to enjoy food and drink in the same bite. The pie which originated in the fifties after the drink called the “Grasshopper Pie”. This after dinner drink is made with ½ ounce of cream, ½ ounce of crème de cacao and 1 ounce of crème de menthe shaken over ice and strained into a glass. The pie includes these same ingredients with the additional of cookie crumbs, marshmallows for a delicious crust and a creamy filling that is a refreshing and decadent after dinner dessert.
- 1 cup of chocolate cookie crumbs
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 32 large marshmallows
- ½ cup of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of green crème de menthe liqueur
- 2 tablespoons of white crème de cacao liqueur
- 1 ½ cups of heavy cream
- Reheat oven to 350’.
- Blend together the chocolate cookie crumbs with the melted butter and sugar.
- Once mixed add to the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate and press in the bottom and sides to form a crust.
- Bake cookie pie crust for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place pie plate on a cooking rack.
- In the top of a double boiler melt the marshmallows in the milk.
- Stir until well blended, and then cool the mixture completely.
- Once cook stir in the crème de menthe and crème de cacao.
- In a large sized bowl beat the heavy cream until stiff.
- Fold the marshmallow mixture into the stiffened heavy cream.
- Spoon the mixture into the cooled pie crust.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or until the grasshopper pie is firm.
- Before serving, garnish with whipped cream, grated chocolate or some cookie crumbs.
- Mini Oreo cookies are also nice to garnish the top of the pie with.
- Add a cherry to individual servings; cherries have a way of making guests smile.
- A splattering of mini semi-sweet morsels can also be used to top this pie with.
Copyright 2011 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved