HENRY COUNTY, GA – Henry County Schools (HCS) recently learned they would receive $313,000 from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation funding Phase-two, of the Next Generation Systems Challenge, which will provide an opportunity for six individual schools to engage in strategic planning and redesign centered on personalized learning.
The selected schools are:
- Luella High School here
- Luella Middle School here
- Locust Grove Middle School here
- Henry County Middle School here
- Hampton Middle School here
- Hampton High School here
The inaugural group, are tasked with becoming torchbearers to further research, develop, and implement a personalized learning plan and vision expected to encompass the school system. Other schools will follow in a tiered rollout over the next five years. The six schools will begin their own research, visioning, and strategic planning process during the 2014-2015 School-year. Their goal, to open the 2015-2016 School-year with unique learning models aimed at personalizing education for their learners.
Superintendent Rodney Bowler offered comments regarding the recent phase two award:
“We are appreciative of the support given through this grant from the Gates Foundation. The work our district has embarked on resonates with what the Foundation sought through their grant selection process; a district focusing on providing relevance and rigor for its students through a relational and personalized approach. The opportunities the grant will afford our district will help us further uphold our mission of ensuring success for each student. Our school community stands to benefit greatly from the support this grant will provide in our efforts of personalizing learning.”
The Purpose of the Next Generation Systems Challenge Grant is to implement a system-level strategic plan for personalized learning here.
For more information on Henry County Schools Personalized Learning plans visit here.
If you plan to peruse the Henry County School Personalized Learning web pages, you may need assistance with the following unidentified Acronyms:
- HCS = Henry County Schools,
- NGS = Next Generation Systems,
- PL = Personalized Learning,
- LMS = Learning management system,
- NACOL = North American Council for Online Learning,
- iNACOL = International Association for K-12 Online Learning,
- PP = Promising Practices,
- AASL = American Association of School Libraries,
- PBL = Project Based Learning,
- BIE = Buck Institute for Education