While there are people who don’t like coconut (what?!?!), there are plenty more waiting in line for a slice of that beautiful Easter cake! Grandma's recipes are always the best and this coconut cake recipe is no different!
Grandma’s best Easter coconut cake recipe
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut cream
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, eggs, oil, water and coconut flavoring. Beat for 2 minutes and pour into 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut cream with sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth. When cake comes out of the oven, poke holes into it in even rows using a large fork or chopsticks. Pour milk mixture over, allowing it to soak into the cake. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue whipping until stiff. Spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle top with flaked coconut.
Editor’s Notes: (consider these minor alterations for best results)
- When you poke holes in the cake- do not poke all the way through to the bottom
- Do not pour the cream mixture over the cake too soon after baking. Let cake cool down to room temp or it will get very mushy in the fridge.
If you want your Easter dinner to be perfect, make sure to have a coconut cake on top of your favorite cake stand. There are certainly other Easter desserts to choose from; however this is the one you want to keep in your private recipe box.
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!