When the holiday season arrives, people from all over Michigan come to Grand Rapids to see the classic holiday ballet, The Nutcracker, performed by the Grand Rapids Ballet Company. They come to experience the magic of childhood through the eyes of Clara as her nutcracker doll comes to life and leads her on an exciting adventure. This classic ballet is a treasured holiday tradition for many.
2013 marks the 42nd year for the Grand Rapids Ballet, and The Nutcracker has always been an integral part of each season.
"The Grand Rapids Ballet has performed The Nutcracker for about 40 years," says Glenn Del Vecchio, Executive Director of the Grand Rapids Ballet.
This year, the Grand Rapids Ballet will hold eight performances of The Nutcracker at DeVos Performance Hall in Grand Rapids December 13-22, and one performance in Muskegon at Frauenthal Center for the Arts on December 19th.
The Grand Rapids Ballet Nutcracker Experience
The Grand Rapids Ballet offers a unique Nutcracker experience for Michigan that transports you completely into Clara's world. The Grand Rapids Ballet performs the classic tale in its entirety, following Tchaikovsky's original story closely.
Features of the Grand Rapids Ballet Nutcracker productions include:
- Grand Rapids Symphony Orchestra performs Tchaikovsky's master work
- Master choreographers develop the choreography.
- Beautiful costumes and creative sets are detailed works of art.
- Professional dancers perform the principal roles.
- Local choirs from area schools and organizations, such as the Grand Rapids Symphony Youth Chorus, are the carolers singing during the snow scene.
- "Each production features a different Mother Ginger, played by a local personality," says Del Vecchio. This year's Mother Ginger's include WOTV4's Maranda and Grand Valley State University President Thomas J. Haas. Mother Gingers in past year performances of The Nutcracker include Mayor George Heartwell and WOOD TV8's Rachael Ruiz.
- The realistic-looking snow is made from shredded plastic and paper. A manual pulley system drops the snow on the stage.
Grand Rapids Ballet Nutcracker Performance and Ticket Information
The Grand Rapids Ballet will perform The Nutcracker at DeVos Performance Hall in Grand Rapids on December 13-15, and on December 20-23. The show opens at 7:30 pm on Friday December 13th. For both weekend performances, Saturday shows are at 2 pm and 7:30 pm, and Sunday shows are at 2 pm. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster, and range in price from $20-$54.
The one night Muskegon show at the Frauenthal Center for Performing Arts is on Thursday, December 19th, at 7:00 pm. Call (231) 727-8001 for tickets from the Frauenthal Box Office or contact Star Tickets at 1-800-585-3737. Tickets prices range from $19.25-$26.25.
The show is two hours long, which includes a 20 minute intermission.