According to USA Today on Monday evening, an Ohio grand jury investigating whether other laws were broken in connection with the rape of a 16-year-old girl by two high school football players last year has issued its first indictment, charging a school employee with interfering with a criminal matter.
The indictment announced by Attorney General Mike DeWine on Monday charges William Rhinaman, a 53-year-old information technology employee of Mingo Junction with tampering with evidence, obstructing justice, obstructing official business and perjury.
His indictment is the first such issued by DeWine and the latest development in the ongoing investigation into the case that shocked the nation when it came to trial in March.
DeWine says the charges are related to Rhinaman’s job as a Steubenville city schools employee. He would not release specifics on the allegations.
On March 17, two Steubenville High School football players were convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl after a party in August 2012. That same day, DeWine said a 14-member grand jury would be investigating whether other crimes were committed, including if coaches or school officials knew about the allegations.
The case drew national attention to the town, 40 miles west of Pittsburgh, after a photo and video that appeared to document the assault of the 16-year-old girl in a drunken stupor at a party were posted online.
Ma'Lik Richmond and Trent Mays, both 17, were sentenced to time in the juvenile detention system and will be required to register as sex offenders.
Emily Sutherlin is also the Pregnancy Examiner.
Got something to say? Say it on Examiner by following this link to sign up.
©2013 Emily M. Sutherlin. All Rights Reserved.