Fair goers, take heart.
Not only does the 58th Annual Greater Jacksonville Fair & Expo not overlap Halloween this year, ultra-mega discounts on admissions and rides are available through Nov. 5.
Never pay full price unless you have to
There’s kind of an unwritten rule that fairs are not supposed to be screw-jobs when it comes pricing.
So when the fair opens on Nov. 6, leave the full-price days to the corporate types so they can buy up the tickets and make their employees go.
So lots of legit discounts make it possible for families to go even in tough times.
Like the MegaPass – $20.00 per person pays your admission to the fair and buys you unlimited rides for one full day.
These are available through Nov. 5.
Like advanced-sale tickets are.
Buy your tickets at local Walgreens® and pay these rates:
- Adult – 13 yrs. +, $ 4.00
- Child – 6-12 yrs., $2.50
- Senior – 65 yrs. +, $2.50
Going more than one day?
Buy them now. (FYI – Kids 5 & under get in free every day.)
But wait! There’s more …
In addition, there are other discounts offered as specials during the run of the fair.
Here’s the Opening Day Special – $3 Admission & $15 Unlimited Mechanical Rides Wristband
If you didn’t get advance tickets and can’t make opening day, first look for the discounts and specials that include admission and rides for one money.
Then work the other discounts on rides.
- Fri., Nov. 8 & 15 – Seniors 65 & over get in FREE.
- Sat., Nov. 9 & 16 – STUDENTS 17 OR YOUNGER ADMITTED FREE 10 A.M.- 4 P.M., Ride Wristbands - Ride Fanatic Wristband – $25 Unlimited Mechanical Rides. SATURDAY NIGHT SPECTACULAR WRISTBAND 4-11 p.m INCLUDES ADMISSION – $25 Unlimited Mechanical Rides
- Sun., Nov. 10 – $25 Armband – Unlimited Mechanical Rides
- Mon., Nov. 11 – VETERANS DAY – Military & dependents admitted FREE with a valid Military ID, $10 Unlimited Mechanical Rides Military Wristband. Other patrons: Ride Fanatic Wristband $25 Unlimited Mechanical Rides
- Tues., Nov 12 – FAMILY DAY – One Child, 12 & Under, Admitted FREE, Ride Wristband – $10 Unlimited Mechanical Rides
- Wed., Nov. 13 & Thurs., Nov. 14 – Ride Wristband – $20 Unlimited Mechanical Rides
- Fri., Nov. 15 – Ride Fanatic Wristband: 3:00-11:00 p.m., $25 Unlimited Mechanical Rides
- Sun., Nov. 17 – BOGO ADMISSION – Buy one admission at regular price, get one FREE. One child 12 & under admitted free with the purchase of a full price adult ticket, FREE Gate Admission with Jacksonville Jaguars v. Arizona Cardinals game ticket or stub, Ride Fanatic Wristband – $25 Unlimited Mechanical Rides
Here’s what the discounts get you in to see
Next, ask yourself what else your gate admission can do for you.
Of course, the livestock and agricultural exhibits are free.
Then there’s the slate of concerts, also free, unless you cough up $10 for VIP seating.
And then you got your special events.
Special events, you say?
Most fairs grew up around livestock and farming shows.
The Greater Jax Fair is no different. County fairs, like rodeos, were and are a chance for farmers and ranchers to meet to show off their best products, talk about best practices and relax and have a little fun at harvest time.
Town folk soon realized that there was money to be made outside of the requisite permits and such, and a new entertainment industry was born.
Now in addition to the farm-and-ranch content (4H and the Future Farmers of America and what have you) and the chili cook-offs, you get the rides and live music.
Plan your fair visit around your favorite kind of attraction:
- Jump! The Ulitmate Dog Show
- No Jo Clown Circus
- Robinson’s Racing Pigs
- Kachunga & The Alligator Show
And there’s more – like the fun and games at Collegiate Night where alumni from northeast Florida colleges compete to win money for their universities’ scholarhship funds.
Don’t be a cheap old fart
Even if you can’t get the custom discount you want, you have to admit the fair gives you a lot of value for the $8, full-price adult admission.
Take a trip downtown.
Sit on a hay bale but take a pass on the cotton candy.
And your little girl wants a pony ride.
Greater Jacksonville Fair & Expo
- Jacksonville Fair Grounds (in the sports complex in downtown Jacksonville)
- Dates: Nov. 6- 17
- Admission: Adults $8, Senior Citizens 65 & Over $5, Kids 6-12 $5, Kids 5 & FREE
©2013 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: email@example.com