There have been over 19,000 registered flu cases in New York since the start of this flu season in comparison to just over 4,400 last season. Nearly 3,000 people were hospitalized as of the first week in January compared to just over 1,100 in all of last season.
The purpose of the declaration of emergency is to make it easier for children to get vaccinated. Two children and ten adults died in New York this flu season.
Health professionals predict the vaccine will prevent the flu in 62% of people that get vaccinated and the remaining 38% may still have minor cases of the flu. The fact that the vaccine for this season is only 62% effective gives a large number of the public doubts about getting the flu vaccine this year.