With the current cold snap aside, Spring is upon us here in Knoxville! The flower are blooming, trees are full of green leaves, our many local parks have come alive! What better way to enjoy Spring than with a picnic?
These gourmet melted veggie sandwiches make great picnic fare! They are a perfect combination of hearty vegetables, gooey flavored cheese, and crispy bread, and they'll keep just fine en-route!
Recipe for Gourmet Melted Veggie Sandwiches
Makes 4 hearty sandwiches
- 1 loaf of crispy rustic bread, such as ciabatta
- 8 oz. flavored cheese, such as garden vegetable*
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 can of pitted black olives
- 1 can of artichoke hearts, drained
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive Oil
- salt & pepper
- Slice the bread into 4 equal pieces for sandwiches. Slice each piece in half and place, open-side up, on a large baking sheet.
- Divide the olives evenly among the four bottom pieces of bread. You can cut the olives in halves or put the whole olives on the bread.
- Chop up half of the parsley bunch. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Saute the parsley 2 minutes. Add the canned artichoke hearts (drained), 1 tsp lemon juice, and a dash of salt & pepper. Saute until the parsley is wilted.
- Spoon the parsley mix evenly among the bottom pieces of bread, over the olives.
- Put the pan back on the heat and add the tomatoes. Saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Spoon the tomatoes evenly among the bottom pieces of bread.
- Slice the cheese and lay slices over all of the added ingredients on the bottom pieces of bread. Place baking sheet on the middle rack in the oven and turn on the broiler. Broil until the cheese is melted and just starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
These sandwiches are great to enjoy for dinner, outside on a Spring evening with a glass of wine! And they are great on-the-go sandwiches for a picnic or to bring to work or an outing!
Flavored cheese can be found in the cheese section of Kroger and Earth Fare. I have used the Mediterranean cheese from Kroger and the Garden Vegetable cheese (pictured) from Earth Fare. Both are delicious on this sandwich!
See suggested links below for more great picnic fare!