Starting the day with a hearty breakfast is important. While oatmeal is traditionally thought to be a fall or winter breakfast selection, it is a great year-round choice.
Oatmeal is not only hardy (or better yet, "heart-y") but it is also healthy. It is credited for lowering LDL or bad cholesterol without lowering HDL or good cholesterol. There should be no better choice for a great breakfast and besides, this recipe slow cooks while you sleep and re-energize for the upcoming day's activities. When you hit the floor running in the morning, breakfast is served.
Gourmet Breakfast Oatmeal
- 4 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cinnamon
- Grease a 3-quart slow cooker.
- Combine almond milk, oats, cherries, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in the prepared slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours.
- Serve topped with a dash of cold almond milk.