Each year Veterans Day is celebrated in our schools and in some businesses. For military families, each day that they have their family member is a celebration. Got Your 6 understands their need for celebration and because it will be Veterans Day again very soon, they are heading up another national veteran campaign.
The campaign is led by managing director and Army veteran Chris Marvin. Both Marvin and this campaign are devoted to advancing the conversation in America about how veterans and military families are viewed as leaders and assets – not as liabilities!
Some of the major events and initiatives that Got Your 6 is producing this Veterans Day include:
· “Got Your 6 Storytellers” is a speaking conference in New York City that will share the stories of veterans who have experienced growth and learning from their time in service.
· The thought conference will be streamed live via Intercast on the Got Your 6 Facebook page, through the social media pages of the over two-dozen Got Your 6 nonprofit partners and also on donated ad space on partner websites
· Got Your 6 Storytellers is A TED-inspired speaking conference in NYC to share the stories of veterans who have experienced growth and learning from their time in service
· A partnership with Scholastic HISTORY® where Got Your 6 is bringing veterans into classrooms across the country to help teach our next generation more about the post-9/11 veteran and what service means to these men and women after they’ve returned home; event is hosted by Google and the Department of Veterans Affairs Center for Innovation
· Another interesting feature is that "Got Your 6 Storytellers" will be streamed live and able to be rebroadcast online at any time via an embeddable widget
The men and women that serve our country are not always viewed at leaders and civic assets as they should be! This is why individuals like Bob Gordon, former Assistant Secretary of Defense for Military Community and Family Policy, Jake Harriman, Founder and CEO of Nuru International and Jake Wood, President, and Co-Founder of Team Rubicon will be moderated by military advocate and veteran journalist, Joe Klein will join forces in an effort to change the public perception in America about these courageous men and women.
They will present at a special thought leadership symposium. Their platform will give them the opportunity to share the unique stories presented to them by post 9/11 military vets who are working in innovative fields and have a profound impact on the civilian world. The symposium is scheduled to be held at Google in New York City. The interactive Intercast widget can be embedded anywhere, allowing viewers across the country to take part in this event.
“Veterans Day is a chance to acknowledge and celebrate service members not only for their military service to our country, but also for their desire to continue to serve at home,” said Chris Marvin, managing director of Got Your 6. “Through Got Your 6, we hope to inspire communities across the country to embrace veterans as essential community assets who bring about positive change every day.”
In addition to the storyteller event in New York City, Got Your 6 has partnered with HISTORY® for their nationwide “Take a Veteran to School” campaign, now in its 7th year with participation from over 5,000 schools nationwide. This program was designed by HISTORY®—a part of A+E Networks, which is an original Got Your 6 entertainment industry supporter—to bring students and veterans together as a way for young people to learn more about the unique experiences of veterans of all ages and to expand students’ understanding of the day’s significance. Got Your 6 is collaborating with HISTORY® to create lessons within the “Take a Vet to School” K-12 classroom curriculum and is activating an additional entertainment industry supporter, DreamWorks Animation, to create a short video presentation for classroom use that portrays a more accurate image of a post-9/11 veteran. Working together, HISTORY and Got Your 6 will continue to help a new generation of students understand important concepts of service and teamwork through talking to veterans from all walks of life. HISTORY’s portal for Veterans outreach, www.veterans.com, houses these educational resources and premier content about Veterans Day and Veterans non-profits.
"HISTORY is honored to join with Got Your 6 to acknowledge and celebrate veterans," said Dr. Libby O'Connell, Chief Historian and SVP, Corporate Outreach for HISTORY. "Together we will continue to raise awareness about the immensely valuable contributions of veterans from all walks of life."
Got Your 6 is very progressive and is teaming with some champions to get the word out about veteran leaders. Hopefully with enough support, this great organization will help our people to realize that because of these strong, faithful individuals, our nation is the great nation that it is!