Especially for the kids and their families this weekend:
- It's time for the 86th annual Capitol Holiday Pageant held on the first floor rotunda of our State Capitol! Sponsored by the Madison West Kiwanis Club, there will be two performances on Sunday 12/5/10 - 4:15 pm and 5:15 pm.
- The Capitol Holiday Tree Lighting will take place at 11:45 am on Friday, 12/3/10.
- Playtime Productions continues its run of "The Emperor's New Clothes" with three performances this weekend. Friday, 12/3 - Oregon Community Ed at Prairie View 7 pm; Saturday, 12/4 Overture Center for the Arts Playhouse and Sunday, 12/5 Barrymore Theatre 6 pm. Pricing and details.
- Schumacher Farm County Park in Waunakee offers an old fashioned Christmas event on Sunday, 12/5/10 from 2-5 pm. Named "Secrets & Dreams: Marcella's Christmas," visitors will enjoy caroling, tree lighting, wassail and tea, and live entertainment. $5.
- Enjoy a winter walk at the UW-Arboretum on Sunday, 12/5/10 from 1:00 to 2:30 pm. "Conifers - The Arboretum is home to many species of conifers, and on this tour you’ll be introduced to pines, spruces and firs."
- Spend the day at DeForest's WinterFest on Saturday, 12/4/10. The numerous activities include: chili, bingo, Santa, Mrs. Claus & Maynard Mallard, bonfire, caroling, and more. Details.
- The UW-Space Place offers a one-hour Saturday Science workshop called "Insulation Investigations" on Saturday, December 4th at 10 a.m. According to the website: "Experiment with the best ways to keep warm in the winter or cool in the summer.” For children aged 6-10. Free. (Limited to first 50 people.)
- The Overture Center's Kids in the Rotunda returns on Saturday, 12/4/10. A long-time Madison favorite, this is a great way to spend a Saturday morning with your children of all ages. This Saturday enjoy a "Hanukkah Rocks" concert with Yid Vicious! Shows are at 9:30 AM, 11 AM & 1 PM. Complete schedule.
- If you haven't gone yet, be sure to visit the annual Holiday in Lights display at Olin-Turville Park this weekend.
- For a truly one-of-a-kind experience, head to Cave of the Mounds to hear caroling in the cave 12/3 - 12/5.
- Head to Hilldale Shopping Center to visit Santa, walk-through a life-size gingerbread house and view the amazing gingerbread houses (Casas for CASA) on display. Read more.
- It's time again for Pump It Up's Parent's Night Out on Friday, 12/3/10 from 6 pm to 9 pm. "Drop the kids off at a Pump It Up for a night of jumping, games, art, pizza, and lots of fun and laughter, while you enjoy a relaxing night off." $20.00 per child ages 3-10, $15.00/sibling. Note: It's also Cosmic Glow Tween Night from 7-9 pm. Details.
More Out of Town Events here:
Happy Weekend, Madison!
To receive future articles by Deborah Nies, scroll to the top of this article, and click on SUBSCRIBE. Your e-mail address will not be shared with anyone else.
Tired of going to the same old places? Want to take the road less traveled? Click here to enjoy Madison Hidden Adventures.