Rep. Justin Amash, R-Mich., issued a dire warning over President Obama's strengthening of the executive branch, saying the administration may put the country's future in jeopardy, The Blaze reported Sunday.
“I think it’s scary the direction the government is going, regardless of whether you have a Republican President or a Democratic President,” he said. “We have an executive branch that is getting way too powerful, and President Obama is setting the stage for something very dangerous in the future.”
Amash also said Congress must take action to rein in the administration, noting that it is Congress' job to “step up and take charge and point out when the President is going beyond his constitutional powers."
He told The Daily Caller's Ginni Thomas that Republicans have not always done all they could to keep Obama in line.
He slammed the administration for taking more of Congress' Constitutional authority while picking and choosing what laws to support and uphold.
After being shellacked in the 2010 midterm election, the far left think tank Center for American Progress said Obama should use all of his executive authority -- including his power as Commander-in-Chief of the military -- to advance his agenda.
John Podesta -- head of the Center for American Progress -- has since been brought into the White House in a move some see as a clear sign Obama intends to continue ruling by executive fiat, bypassing Congress when it suits him.
Republicans have repeatedly threatened impeachment, but nothing has been done to stop Obama from acting like a dictator.
The problem is that Democrats control the Senate. Even if the GOP-led House impeached Obama, Democrats in the Senate -- with assistance from some Republicans -- would never vote to convict.
The situation is now so bad one expert told Congress Obama's behavior could spark an armed revolt.
Part of the problem, Amash said, is that voters remain apathetic.
In an exclusive interview with the Daily Caller, Amash said continued voter activism is needed to change things in Washington.
“The people in charge of this place, whether they’re Republican or Democrats, only listen to force,” he told the Daily Caller. “So, they don’t really care about whether something is good or bad. What they care about is whether they are going to get re-elected. And when they find that their constituents are up in arms about something, they quickly change their minds on that issue. But as long as the public remains passive and is unconcerned about what’s going on here, they just have free reign, and they do whatever they like.”
- Barbara Walters to Piers Morgan: We thought Obama would be 'the next messiah'
- GOP Rep. Trey Gowdy: Obama's disregard for the law at 'an unprecedented level'
- Expert to Congress: Obama's illegal behavior could spark armed revolt
- Liberal think tank says President can use military to push progressive agenda
- Retired Army officer warns: DHS preparing for war against American citizens
- Retired General calls for forced resignation of Obama, administration officials
- Renowned author: Obama wants military leaders who will fire on U.S. citizens
- Singer James Taylor: Americans need to 'sacrifice' freedom to protect society
- Obama Executive Order would seize US infrastructure, citizens for nat'l defense
- Retired officer warns: Obama victory may spark civil war
- Texas judge warns of possible civil war, U.N. takeover if Obama wins
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.