1. Tech
  2. Gadgets & Tech
  3. Tech Gear

Google's Android: the potential solution for Verizon Wireless customers holding out for an iPhone

I've been a Verizon Wireless customer for about 5 years now. However, it's only since the iPhone has been released that I've really started to resent the company.

Two years ago, Apple partnered with AT&T in an exclusive deal to bring the iPhone to the masses… and for two years, Verizon has continued to provide incomparable, pitiful and wholly worthless smartphones to its customers. Windows Mobile 6, 6.1… even 6.5? It doesn't have ANYTHING on the iPhone operating system. For all intents and purposes, it's Windows 3.1 in a Windows 7 world.

So, for two years, I've been holding my breath just waiting for either Apple or AT&T to break their exclusive contract and grant those of us addicted to the stability of the VW network a capable and actually smart "smartphone." That day has yet to come.

However, this week brought new hope to those like myself. Not by news that the iPhone was now free but by news that the almighty Verizon has now partnered with the almighty Google to bring the next generation of Google's Android phones to Verizon's remarkably-solid network. How is Android supposed to make someone like me happy? Well, first off, the Android platform is mostly developer-friendly. This means that I get access to all of those wonderful "apps" that make the iPhone such a sought-after device. (Granted, not the exact same apps - for the most part - but apps that serve the same purpose as their iPhone-equivalents.) Second, the interface for Android is much more touch-friendly than the Windows Mobile phones with which us Verizon-devotees have been forced to deal. No more tiny, barely-visible "OK" buttons. No more inexcusably-miniscule on-screen keyboard.

This dream of an actual intelligent smartphone living on the Verizon network could even arrive quicker than you might think - the first device is expected to arrive within the next two weeks. Rumor has it that the first one could either be what's currently known as the HTC Hero or the Motorola Cliq.

Support for Microsoft's Exchange environment on the Android platform looks to still be up in the air but it appears as though steps are being taken to enable that functionality since the recently-released MyTouch 3G enabled support for Exchange mail - just not calendars or contacts.) Of course, even though this functionality isn't enabled natively, there are still ways to get the Exchange information you need on your Android device via 3rd-party apps and tweaks.

So, what do you think about all of this? Will you be waiting in line for an Android-Verizon device or will you be holding out for the iPhone? Drop a line in the comments section below.

Comments

• April 4 years ago

I'll be one of the first people in line for an android!

• May 4 years ago

VZW Network + Android = FTW!

I will be right there with April. The Verizon network works everywhere I go. That is not true for the other 3 major carriers, so if I want my phone to work everywhere, it needs to be Verizon.

The rumored Motorola Sholes looks like it will be far and away the absolute best hardware you can get in an Android phone (better even than the CLIQ and Hero), and it will be a branded with Google phone.

I believe this will be the best phone running the best OS on the best network. I cannot wait!

• sizzle 4 years ago

The Motorola Phone is completely different from the Cliq, I will is currently called the Sholes/Tao/Droid. It will be the Google experience phone, not the Motorola blur.

• oldguy 4 years ago

This is the real deal.
    The VZW network is the only one that serves me out in rural Missouri, but I had decided to keep my decrepit WinMo phone until the keys fell off. Why spend good money on another one just like it?
    Motorola Droid (or whatever) is my dream phone on my favorite network. I wish they'd ship it TODAY!
    Hey April... If I'm not standing in front of you in line, I'm the old guy behind you.

• Craig 4 years ago

I will hold out for the HTC Device, they have treated me nicely for the last few years.
    Definately Android though.

• Roberto 4 years ago

The cliq already supports MS Exchange, and I imagine the soon to happen Vrz Moto Android phone, will also have it as well.

• Anthony 4 years ago

Anything to get rid of the Storm. Verizon has to know its a dud. Hopefully they will allow some sort of upgrade to get rid of the thing. I have returned 3 since Feb, 2009 due to malfunction. The question is does Verizon care?

• sizzle 4 years ago