I like to pick up new local recipes in each of the places I've lived. Since living here in Bismarck I've learned to make knoepfla, kuchen, and I am beginning to accept bright red hot dogs.
We spent three years in St. Louis, and from there I developed an appreciation for very thin crust pizza, deep fried ravioli and Gooey Butter Cake.
Gooey Butter Cake is a great easy recipe that can use up those cake mixes you buy on whim because they are on sale for less than a dollar!
This is NOT a low fat or low calorie dessert, but it is delicious, and a wonderful treat.
Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 stick melted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups powdered sugar, plus some for garnish
- Blend cake mix, 1 egg and butter until smooth.
- Press into a 9 x 13 greased baking pan.
- Blend cream cheese, two eggs and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over first mixture in the pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until edges are brown.
- The mixture will sink in the middle, this is normal!
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
What is YOUR favorite budget dessert? Leave a comment below and you may see your dessert featured here!
Don't want to miss a single recipe? Make sure you click on my spam free subscription button above!
You can also follow me on Twitter!