Known for such hits as Stayin' Alive and How Deep is Your Love, with his Bee Gees brothers, Barry and Maurice, Robin fell into a coma after contracting pneumonia following two operations and chemotherapy treatments.
Each year more than 140,000 Americans are diagnosed with colorectal cancer, and more than 50,000 people die from it. In Michigan, there were 4,800 new cases of colorectal cancer diagnosed in 2011, and another 4,800 deaths attributed to colorectal cancer in the State, although these numbers are slightly lower than the previous year.
According to the American Cancer Society, colorectal cancer is one of the leading causes of cancer-related deaths in the United States, however, early diagnosis can often lead to a complete cure.
There are 5 stages of colon cancer. They include:
- Stage 0: Very early cancer on the innermost layer of the intestine
- Stage 1: Cancer is in the inner layers of the colon
- Stage 2: Cancer has spread through the muscle wall of the colon
- Stage 3: Cancer has spread to the lymph nodes
- Stage 4: Cancer has spread to other organs
For more from the U.S. National Institutes of Health
For more on colorectal cancer
Get information on public health issues by clicking the subscribe button above and simply entering your email address for articles delivered straight to your inbox.