First the bad news:
Hemmings Motor News reports that three, valuable collector cars were stolen during the recent auctions in the Monterey California area. Russo and Steele Auctions reported that a 1961 Chevrolet Impala SS 409 convertible valued at $220,000 was stolen from the secured auction site sometime after the car crossed the auction block. Mecum Auctions reported that a 1961 Chevrolet Impala SS “restomod” convertible and a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air were stolen. All three vehicles failed to sell at auction and were likely targeted for the value of their parts, and the ease of which they can be sold to unsuspecting hobbyists. While far more expensive cars were plentiful at both auctions, parting out a 1949 Ferrari 166 or a 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder would prove both risky and challenging, while parts from the missing Chevrolets can be applied to a far wider range of vehicles. Those with information on the thefts should contact the California Highway Patrol at 831-796-2100.
Now for some good news:
The Monterey classic car auctions appeared to be a financial success. Hagerty Insurance reported the following: 726/1,280 cars sold (57%) at five auctions for a cumulative total of $301.9 million ($415,840 per vehicle), up substantially from last year's $265.2 million from 84 more cars ($327,407 per vehicle).
Overall Top 10 Sales from all auctions:
1. 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4*S NART Spyder sold for $27,500,000 (RM)
2. 1957 Ferrari 250 GT TdF Berlinetta sold for $9,460,000 (Gooding)
3. 1953 Ferrari 375 MM Spyder sold for $9,075,000 (RM)
4. 1937 Bugatti Type 57SC Atalante sold for $8,745,000 (Gooding)
5. 1997 McLaren F1 Coupe sold for $8,470,000 (Gooding)
6. 1928 Mercedes-Benz 680S Torpedo Roadster sold for $8,250,000 (RM)
7. 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster sold for $7,480,000 (RM)
8. 1955 Ferrari 250 GT Competizione Berlinetta sold for $7,150,000 (Gooding)
9. 1948 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Competizione Coupe sold for $4,840,000 (Gooding)
10. 1931 Bentley 4.5-Litre “Blower” Le Mans Roadster sold for $4,647,500 (Bonhams)
The annual Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Classic Car Show & Festival is August 29th-September 1st, 2013 in Auburn, Indiana. While the A-C-D vehicles are featured, there are many other makes and models to enjoy. Expect lively auction action, car shows, parades, displays and plenty of food & drink. Be sure to take time to see the A-C-D Museum. Go to www.acdfestival.org for a complete list of events.