Goldmine's Meet the Fab Four
Goldmine Magazine's Beatles issues have always been something to look forward to. The magazine has always had interviews, music collector information and ads that have always made it worthwhile. But the Beatle issues have been extra special, often featuring interviews with the Beatles themselves or expertly written historical articles.
The magazine has a 10-year compilation of 16 of its Beatle-dominant issues from 1998-2007 available for purchase on CD-ROM. The issues are #477, #503, #529, #555, #561, #567, #581, #608, #615, #634, #660, #671, #681, #686 and #697, all in .pdf form. The disc also includes a pdf file of internet and e-mail address links, an article index, and two book excerpts: "Beatles45PriceGuide.pdf" from "The 6th Edition Goldmine Price Guide to 45 RPM Records" and GM Collecting 101.pdf from "Goldmine 5th Edition Record Album Price Guide."
There's an interview with Paul McCartney in #671, Ringo Starr in #686 and Pete Best in #712. Others interviewed include Mary Hopkin and Pattie Boyd in #712, Sean Lennon in #697 and Sir George Martin in #477.
And given that some of these issues go back over 10 years, some of those interviewed are no longer with us: Walter Shenson and Carl Perkins in #477 and Billy Preston in #660. #561 is the memorial tribute to George Harrison.
At the very least, this archival disc will save you some shelf space with those yellowed dog-eared paper copies. But I like having this handy thing around. The news perspectives from years past are in themselves valuable. Those who like to hunt the ads will find some missing. An introductory file says some of them weren't able to be transferred to the .pdf format.
The disc is available through Goldmine's website. From now through Feb. 21, the magazine is offering a 10% discount on it with the discount code DMDG29.
- Beatle news briefs: We'll always have Paris (Hilton)
- Beatle news briefs: One last McCartney tale
- The Beatles' really big shew 45 years ago today (video!)
- GRAMMY UPDATE: Paul McCartney backstage and on stage in words and pictures
- GRAMMY UPDATE: Ringo, Paul strike out on three Grammy noms (with Paul photos)
- Our Beatles Grammy reference on Abbeyrd's Beatles Page
- GRAMMY PARTY: Paul McCartney attends Grammy pre-party honoring record mogul Clive Davis
- Beatle News Briefs: They came, we saw, they conquered; Grammy prediction (UPDATED)
- The Beatles conquer America, Part III: 'Ringo, I Love You' by Bonnie Jo Mason (aka Cher!)
- The Beatles conquer America, Part II: Those Beatle novelty songs!
- This day in Beatle history -- Feb. 7: the Beatles conquer America (video)
- Beatle news briefs: No lifetime Grammy?; Paul hits Vegas
- JUST IN: McCartney to headline grand opening of The New Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Vegas
- Paul McCartney to Shia LaBeouf: Hello, goodbye
- This day in Beatles history: Feb. 6, a new Quarryman
- Beatle news briefs: A Colbert outtake; McCartney gets Sirius
- THIS JUST IN: Sirius/XM to launch Paul McCartney Fireman channel with unreleased tracks (updated)
- Beatle news briefs: McCartney deluxe Fireman set delay; Stella shirts update
- The Beatles once lost a Grammy to, um, 'Winchester Cathedral'?
- Beatle rarities: John, Paul, George and Buddy sing Buddy Holly (videos)
- EXCLUSIVE: A few very precious moments with Mary Hopkin ('Those Were the Days')
- Beatle news briefs: Abbey Road snowfall!
- EXCLUSIVE: A magical mystery tour to the site of the Beatles rooftop concert 40 years later
- Jan. 30, 1969: The day the Beatles went up on the roof (with memories from someone who was there)
- This just in: Paul McCartney, thenewno2 confirmed for Coachella Music Fest
- Julian and Sean Lennon performing together? Not true, says Julian
- Paul McCartney -- the sexiest man alive