Short ribs are an incredible piece of beef when properly prepared and the proper way to prepare them is to braise them -- braising being a slow roasting in liquid for a prolong period of time. The meat will be fork tender and in the case of this recipe, have the taste of a tropical island.
When I was a young island-hopping Chef this is the dish I would always prepare to try and woo a new human being whom I thought I wanted a quasi-relationship with. The relationships never worked but this dish did it's job perfectly. One of the reasons this dish is as spectacular as it is, is because of the tropical fruits involved. Yes, they are tasty but there is also another little secret involved here. Tropical fruits contain an enzyme which will naturally tenderize beef! So, with this dish you have the braising of the meat (which tenderizes it) and the tropical fruit -- yeah, the meat almost falls off the bone.
I think this is a perfect entree for a romantic dinner for two along with a little wine, candlelight, soft music and porn!
Ingredients for Short Ribs Tropicale (serves 2 romantically):
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon-pepper (or ground black pepper)
- 4 short ribs (don't remove the fat)
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 1 Tbs. dried marjoram, crumbled
- 3 cups Marsala wine
- 1 papaya, seeded, peeled and cubed (see slide show for details)
- 1 mango, pitted, peeled and cubed (see slide show for details)
- 1/2 pineapple, skinned, core removed and cubed (see slide show for details)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a plate combine the flour, salt and lemon-pepper.
- Dredge (coat) the short ribs in the flour mixture.
- In a large saute pan or skillet with a cover, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the dredged short ribs and brown on all sides.
- Remove the short ribs from the pan and discard any left over oil and rendered fat.
- Into the pan add the Marsala wine. Place the short ribs into the pan and sprinkle with the marjoram. Place a lid on the pan and place in the oven and cook 1 hour.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the papaya, mango and pineapple. Place the lid back onto the pan, place in the oven and cook 1 hour.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place 2 short ribs on each plate
- Spoon off any visible fat from the juices in the pan and discard.
- Spoon some of the sauce and the fruit onto the plate and serve.
** Inside Google calls Chef Larry Edwards "quite possibly the most popular Chef in the world" and now you can find out what Chef Larry Edwards has coming up in the kitchen, on the road, in the restaurants and in the media by joining him on Facebook where the Chef's snarky personality and often controversial comments are always sure to cause a stir