When I orginally had this incredible version of banana nut bread, it was laced with toasted pine nuts. For my palate the pine nuts didn't quite marry with the bananas. I played with the original recipe a bit and instead of pine nuts I used finely chopped toasted pecans.
Aside from the nuts the big difference between this version of banana nut bread and the boring version is this one is more light in texture, more delicate in taste and is a helluva lot more healthy. Here we don't have white flour, we use whole wheat flour. There is no butter here, instead we are getting our fine texture thanks to olive oil. Regarding the sweetness, we'll rely on the ripeness of the bananas and the freshness of brown sugar and to add the bow to this outstanding package, we'll have a hint of spice with cinnamon and nutmeg!
Ingredients needed to make Banana Pecan Olive Oil Bread (makes 1 loaf):
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 bananas, peeled and mashed
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Into the bowl of a mixer and using the wire whisk, blend the bananas, brown sugar, olive oil, egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and beat until just combined.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Place in the oven and bake 50 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan 15 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a rack until ready to slice and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook" is now available worldwide and features 80 dishes from the era of the most acclaimed television show in the history of PBS, Downton Abbey.