In a small town in Vermont a spontaneous manure fire has residents in the area a little disgusted. Komo News aired the story of Windsor’s goat manure fire on August 22, 2013 and if you have ever smelled burning dung from any species you understand their disgust. Officials in Windsor say that the pile of goat manure spontaneously combusted at Oak Knoll Dairy.
Tom Marsh, Windsor Town Manager, said that the smell is much like "a damp kind of burning leaves or brush fire." Although the stink has spread through out the small town, everyone is happy that no other damage has happened at Oak Knoll Dairy. The dairy is home to about 800 goats that created the 120 cubic yards of goat manure that is on fire.
The owner of Oak Knoll Dairy, George Redick, said that the goat manure is normally spread across the grounds of the farm as a form of fertilizer. However, due to a very wet rainy season the spreading of the goat manure had not been able to happen yet. George Redick says that the goat manure fire started early Wednesday morning and that its small flames were containable but smelly.
Like many other people George Redick thought that spontaneous combustion was just a myth. Of course after seeing the goat manure at his Oak Knoll Dairy in Windsor spontaneously catch fire in front of his eyes, he is now a believer.