GM stung by scorpion lives to tell his story. That man was Milwaukee Brewers general manager Doug Melvin, who suffered the painful sting earlier this week as he and his wife were dining in their spring training condominium, according to a Mar. 7, 2013 report by Sports Illustrated.
The story of the GM stung by a scorpion is a cautionary tale about paying attention. When he spotted the Arizona bark scorpion (Centriroides exilicauda) moving across the floor, he failed to realize exactly what type of creature had invaded his temporary home.
That's when he confidently picked up the creepy critter with his bare hand shielded by nothing more than a thin sheet of tissue paper, and that's when the scorpion struck, stinging his finger.
The GM stung by a scorpion spent three hours at a local emergency room where he was treated and released. Things could have been worse. "This is the only species of scorpion in Arizona that is truly considered as life threatening," according to Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.
Melvin experienced numbness from his stung finger to his shoulder, but he did not experience the difficulty breathing that can accompany such stings.