You may be among the millions who have made the switch from white flour recipes, and now incorporate whole wheat for added nutritional benefits. But have you considered those same benefits by switching out your wheat flour recipes for almond flour?
Health conscious eaters are using almond flour and enjoying all of the nutritional advantages with the added bonus of eliminating gluten. And for the bakers out there - using almond flour provides a slightly sweet and nutty flavor that not only makes for a nice twist on your favorite recipes, but you can also reduce the sugar for more healthy baking opportunities!
Take your healthy lifestyle up another notch. Try out these delicious Lemon Blueberry Scones on your family or the office co-workers. Everyone will be amazed at yet another healthy treat you have come up with!
Directions for Lemon Blueberry Scones (made with ALMOND FLOUR):
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Place parchment paper in a large baking sheet and set aside.
Whisk the following ingredients together in a large bowl:
- 2 ½ c. almond flour
- 1 c. potato starch (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 T. baking powder
- ½ c. cane sugar
- ½ t. sea salt
- 8 T. cold butter, cut into small cubes
Scatter butter pieces into the bowl and gently work the butter into the dry ingredients until it forms the consistency of small peas. This can be accomplished with your fingers, two forks, or a pastry cutter.
Whisk the following ingredients together in a medium bowl:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. half-and-half
- zest from one lemon
- 1 or 2 t. *lemon extract
- ½ c. frozen blueberries
- Add to dry ingredients and stir together until completely mixed.
- Gently fold in the blueberries an mix evenly.
- Drop 1/3 cup size mounds onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes until the center is firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Allow to cool* at room temperature and enjoy immediately or store in airtight containers.
Yield: 8 large / 12 medium
• Once these scones are*cooled, the potato starch turns to a more resistant starch that supports healthy gut bacteria.
• Add more *lemon extract if you prefer a more lemony flavored scones.
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
Other recipe considerations:
Try exchanging the whole wheat flour in some of your favorite recipes, especially if you have gluten or sugar sensitive diets to accommodate. Click on any of the following links for some of my popular recipes where I enjoy replacing the whole wheat flour with almond flour:
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
- Boise Co-Op
- Natural Grocers
- Brown Box Organics
- The Organic Store Locator
- Trader Joe’s
- Whole Foods Market.
- Learn more about eating gluten free by clicking on the link in this sentence.
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe - enjoyed with organics and nutrition in mind.