Red tomatoes contain a lot of acid that gives a lot of people heart burn or as Italians like to say agada. Yellow and white tomatoes have low acid and can be cooked and not need the acid skimmed off. What this recipe lacks in acid it makes up for in being a little spicy hot depending on your tastes, from the green chili and sausage. There are different kinds of gluten free pasta; this recipe used De Boles gluten free rice lasagna, which is already cooked, so it saves time and is ready to be layered into a delicious lasagna.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 table spoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup roasted green chilies or one can
- 6 pieces of lasagna
- 1/4 pound chopped hamburger
- 1 hot Italian sausage
- 1/4 pound chopped turkey
- eggplant sliced to 1/4"
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup yellow tomatoes or other low acid tomateo
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup blend of 6 Italian cheeses by Sargento
Use a 9' x 13" glass dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Clean tomatoes and boil them in about 1/3 cup of water till they split open.
- While the tomatoes cook, fry up and mix up the cumin with the hamburger, sausage and turkey. When done drain off any fat and put meat to the side.
- De-seed the chili's.
- Peal the tomato's and save the water you boiled them in, which should be about a 1/2 cup.
- Puree' the tomatoes with the green chillies and garlic.
- Mix onions into puree'.
- Pour about 1/3 of the puree' on the bottom of the dish, enough to cover the whole bottom.
- Cover the puree' with your first layer of lasagna.
- Mix the cheeses together and put half on top of the lasagna.
- Place slices of eggplant, mushrooms on top of cheese.
- Place half the meat mixture on top of the cheese.
- Put the last two pieces of lasagna on top then the eggplant, mushrooms, meat and cheese,cover with the rest of the chili tomato puree'.
- Pour the water around the edges
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour or till crispy brown on top.