This is a very delicious recipe for gluten-free gumbo with a touch of Cajun flavor. Gumbo is a very popular dish here in south Louisiana. It is served on special occasions such as Mardi Gras and Christmas as well as for everyday lunch or dinner. Gumbos can be made in a variety of ways such as with chicken, sausage or seafood or a combination of all. Some recipes for gumbo are quite complicated, but this recipe will make it easy for you to prepare and serve. Gumbo is a Louisiana favorite. For a less spicier gumbo just hold the hot sauce and the cayenne pepper. I really hope that you enjoy this gumbo with a touch of Louisiana flavor.
1 cup of olive oil, divided
2 yellow onions, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1/2 shallot, sliced
2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1 cup of rice flour
10 cups of gluten-free chicken broth
1 pound of Andouille sausage
2 cups of frozen okra, sliced
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of filé powder
1 tablespoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of hot sauce
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
2 tablespoons of sugar
1. Bake the chicken until well done. Let cool and remove the chicken from the bone and remove the skin. Cut chicken into small pieces.
2. In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and saute until golden brown. Place the chicken in a bowl and set aside.
3. Pour the remaining olive oil into the pot and add the rice flour and simmer, constantly stirring for about 10-12 minutes to make a roux. Stir continuously so the flour will not burn. The flour will have a rich brown color when ready.
4. Add the onions celery, and bell pepper and continue to stir and cook over low heat for 15 minutes more.
5. Add the chicken broth and the chicken pieces and stir to mix well. Cover and simmer for one hour.
6. Add the sausage, shallots, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, okra, Worcestershire sauce, filé, paprika, and sugar. Cover and simmer for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes to make sure it is not sticking. Adjust the heat as needed.
7. Remove from the heat and add the salt and black pepper. Serve hot over rice and enjoy!