This is a healthy gluten free desert or snack treat , it is easy to make and does not need any cooking, depending on how far you want to go with it. This recipe is naturally sweet from the dates and does not need any additional sugars. For extra flare you can flambe' it when you are done.
- 1 tablespoon of Cardamon
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Half a bag unsweetened coconut flakes
- One cup medjool dates
- one cup figs
- Half a cup dried pineapple, this the only thing that usually is sweetened, unless you dry it out yourself.
- 1/4 cup rum (optional for flambeing) 80 proof minimum.
- Butter or olive oil (optional)
- Remove pits from dates till you have a cup full.
- Combine the dates with figs and dried pineapple pieces.
- If you are going to use rum cover the dates, figs and dried pineapple pieces overnight.
- Put the dates, figs, dried pineapple in a food processor, with a chopping blade and pulse a couple times.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over mixture and some of the cardamon. Cardamon is a strong ingredient so use it sparingly, so add some, pulse it some more and taste it and cardamon to your taste.
- After everything is blended use a teaspoon about a teaspoon full and start making balls.
- Pour the coconut into a bowl or plate and roll the balls in it.
- If you like toasted coconut taste you can bake it quickly, just long enough to brown the coconut, cool it down and serve.
- Flambe' for some added flare and taste, use either butter olive oil and heat it up in a pan, brown up the balls and than add a shot of rum. Keep a wet towel handy. When you add the rum to the hot pan it can spatter, so be careful. Use either a long lighter or if you are using a gas stove tilt the pan after adding the rum, wait for the rum to burn off cool and serve.
This a versatile desert or snack recipe depending on your tastes. You can make as healthy as you want and doesn't take long to make if you don't bake or cook anything.