Despite the emphasis being placed on business is having a global perspective, when it comes to developing employees communication skills are much more sought after then a global perspective. This is according to a study from AMA Enterprise of New York.
AMA surveyed 721 senior-level business, HR, and management professionals who were given a list of common competencies that they wanted to see in individuals with no direct reports. An overwhelming 66% selected the answer “communication skills”. Meanwhile “global perspective” was only selected 14% of the time.
In a separate study by Ernst & Young it was discovered that 77% of companies do not measure the return on investment for sending an employee on an overseas or international assignment.
Taken together, these surveys indicate that although companies may have an intuitive feeling about the international marketplace is not reach the point that it has gone beyond experimental in the business plan.
©2014 Max Impact, used with permission.
- Michigan Works support centers offers job transition support.
- Lesson in interviewing, a tip of what you should not say to recruiters.
- How to write a killer resume.
- Pure Michigan Talent Connect - The official website for job hunters seeking new careers and employers looking to post jobs and hire employees in Michigan.
- Unemployment Insurance Agency - Manages unemployment taxes and insurance. Learn key job seeking information.
- Veterans Employment Services, information regarding Michigan jobs, careers and employment assistance for Veterans.
- Michigan Rehabilitation Services, Works with individuals with disabilities to prepare for and obtain employment.