See also:

Glee's Lea Michele outshines Christina Aguilera at the Super Bowl pre-game show

Christina Aguilera messes up the words to the National Anthem at Super Bowl XLV
Christina Aguilera messes up the words to the National Anthem at Super Bowl XLV
Jason Merritt - Getty Images

"Glee" won the night as far as musical entertainment tonight on FOX. Millions of people who have never watched "Glee" were wowed tonight by Lea Michele's powerful voice and her beautiful pitch perfect rendition of "America the Beautiful" as part of the pre-game show. No stranger to big crowds as she was a Broadway actress well before she starred as Rachel Berry on "Glee" but this was most decidedly her biggest showcase yet.

Christina Aguilera on the other hand, one of the more famous female vocalists of our time did a bit of a hatchet job not only on the words to our National Anthem but her interpretation of the song was not well received by the fans in the stadium or at home. She was greeted with equal boo's to cheering when she finished the anthem. To be fair Christina Aguilera has been singing "The Star Spangled Banner" since she was eight years old and has sung it flawlessly hundreds of times but her Super Bowl XLV effort was not her best night.

Aguilera just released a statement explaining why she messed up the words tonight.

“I got so lost in the moment of the song that I lost my place,” stated Aguilera, “I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of it’s anthem still came through.” Source: Rap Up

You can see both of the Super Bowl performances in the video's in the gallery. Christina's word muff-up is about halfway through the Youtube. Also included is Christina at age eleven at a hockey game where she knocked it out of the park.

What did you think? Do you like it when famous singers put their own stamp on our National Anthem or do you like it sung in a more traditional fashion? Did you stay tuned for Glee? Which halftime did you like better? The Black Eyed Peas or the Cheerios and McKinley High School football team Thriller/Heads Will Roll Zombie halftime? Let us know in the comment section below.

Be sure to watch FOX's new police dramas "Chicago Code" taking over "24's" empty spot on Monday nights.

Comments

• Paolo 3 years ago

Christina Aguilera's performance of the national anthem was painful frankly embarrassing, and I am not referring to the lyrics mishap.. I am talking about the bizarre vocal zig-zags, the countless notes completely out of place, the pointless search for vocal virtuosity that just didn't happen.
    Compare this vocal disaster to the stunning version of the same song performed by Jordin Sparks a couple of years ago and you'll see the difference.

• Aguilera's Stripper Pole 3 years ago

Her ego barely fit in Jerry's new digs with the roof closed. I might just let it go except that she did not apologize and admit she screwed it up by focusing more on herself than the importance of the song to a nation. Any bets that the new House Leadership launches a bill to prohibit excessive anthem stylization?

• Martin B (UK) 3 years ago

Were you listening to the same singers the poor second rate actress with collagen lips stumbled through here song while Christina Aguilera was far and above the better performa and showed here true love for America

• Shaniqua 3 years ago

Better performer? are you kidding me? It may be your opinion but Lord you make most of the readers here question your sanity!

• jun 3 years ago

who are you talking about no second rate actress with collagen lips. Where you drunk already?

• TJ 3 years ago

Christina's worst vocals >>> Lea's best

• Levi Damien 3 years ago

Both were horrendously bad. Lea Michelle was screaching and grinding on her vocal chords with every line of the song. And Aguilera introduced us all to notes our National Anthem never had. They both butchered their renditions and I can't recall there ever being a worse combination. Anyone who thinks Lea Michelle's "God Bless America" was good is simply blinded by their Glee fanaticism. There is no other way around it.

• Levi Damien 3 years ago

Excuse me, i meant to say "America the Beautiful" not "God Bless America." But after that travesty America is less beautiful and God save us all.

I hate to tell you this but many or most of those people had no clue who Lea was and enjoyed it. My guess is that you have a personal dislike of these women to begin with and your bias is shining through

I saw CHARICE DODGERS rendition of the same song in California.

I was moved by this little girl version of Star Spangled Banner.. Simple but very powerful voice , full of emotions. Just like me , the Manager said " I did'nt know I had tears rolling down my checks ."

Look it up You Tube. " Charice Dodgers Star Spangled Banner "
    Stirring !

Rachel Berry outshown Christina Aguilera ? I beg your pardon !

Look again . Christina committed suicide !

Intiende ?

• Profile picture of Rebecca Stewart
    Rebecca Stewart 3 years ago

Watched "Glee" for the first time ever after the game. I might just have to become a regular.

I LOVE GLEE I DONT LIKE HER THATS MUCH

Aguilera is the worst over singer around. Why she needs to draw attention to her voice rather than the music is something for the shrinks to figure out. They say she has a great voice. I say she is an awful singer.

• Sage 3 years ago

I do wish the pop artists would sing it straight and not dress all of the notes and change the melody. Christina's version of our National Anthem made my ears bleed. Forgetting the words is forgivable. Mutilating the melody is not.

• SergeLV 3 years ago

Aguilera's vocals started to slide down some 4 years ago. In a live performance singing Whitney songs, she showed difficulty
    hitting the high notes and pitch even in her own stylized versions.

She sang it in the style of the 90's...

Aquilera was awful, just awful. It's about the song, not the singer, and if the singer does it justice, they both shine. She looked constipated and pained.

Lea Michele was lovely and so was the song.

I blame Jose Feliciano...........j/k.

• Stephanie 3 years ago

I am so tired of singers putting their ego above the simple beauty of the song by adding all the silly warblings. Christina tried to make the anthem all about "Christina's fabulous voice." The song should be sung at a reasonable tempo, not drawn out like a dirge so the "artiste" can get all her tremelos in. It's actually a nice song if you sing it with a reasonable plucky cadence and Do.It.Straight.

I think Christina was trying to cover for the fact that she couldn't reach the high notes.

• Louise 3 years ago

I agree completely.

• dinh 3 years ago

you are so right. She couldn't and NEVER has been able to hit high notes properly. But she disguises it so well with her runs, over singing, and loudness that fools everybody to think she's the best of our generation. Yeah right?! She is really overrated!!!!

• Lauren 3 years ago

When did the world become so critical. Two beautiful young women added to an understated, patriotic pre-game that was touching and simple. I loved the reading of the Constitution by the football players and coaches. I thought Lea was beautiful and her love for her country showed. And even with the words messed up and her own style added, I believe Christina equally showed a love for America. Those songs are not about the singers...those songs are about us as a people. And I believe the nit-picky criticisms that are showing up in this article and these comments is the sad but true picture of American people. We're critical, un-Patriotic, unappreciative and so full of ourselves that it doesn't seem to bother anyone to put down the efforts of those two young ladies. Shame on all of you...not on them. And I loved the Glee show...but have been a follower since it began. Too many Monday morning quarterbacks here...how many of you could stand in a stadium with thousands of people and before the television cameras that bring several million people in and do everything perfectly. How dare we put such high standards on fellow human beings. This is a sad commentary on who we are as people.

• Kanee 3 years ago

I dont care what anyone says I love Christina !!!!!!!!!!! We all make mistakes even u

• Dave F. 3 years ago

National Anthem is the NATIONAL ANTHEM. Ms. Aguilera can write her own version if she wants to be creative. She should have shown us her talent by singing the song correctly rather that have her spin doctors say she was lost in the moment. She certainly left her (tramp) stamp on the moment.

• Mike 3 years ago

I must confess that I had great hopes for "America". But Lea Michele seems to think it is professional to "squeek" as she sings rather than just hit the note. As she squeed time and again I finally simply muted the solund...I could not stand it. Does anyone else hear this? When Christina began I unmuted the sound hoping for a better performance. While she didn't squeek, she doesn't simply hit a note either. She goes all around it, apparently believing that takes more tallent. I muted the sound again and missed her screwing up the words.

• really 3 years ago

That is your opinion and my guess is that you hate Lea Michele and would say this no matter what she did. She wasn't squeaking and you are simply an ass

• Frances 3 years ago

Yes. I hear it. Even when she performed for the White House. I can't stand the way Lea sings. Though some of her songs are beautiful, most have notes that "squeak" just as she enters the pitch.

I thought I was the only one who could her the "squeak". It's irksome to say the least. My mother can't hear it, but my sister who is a musician can. I was sort of glad the sound was bad quality. Some of the songs she sings on Glee are similar. Can't someone tell her? It really is bothersome.

I think Christina was trying so hard to be fabulous that she lost her train of thought and messed it up. I think that the Star Spangled Banner should be sung with respect, and I think she was completely disrespectful. I have sung the Star Spangled Banner in public many times, and I always sing it straight. Getting to sing it in public is a privilege, and the song should be sung with honor and respect for our country.

But didn't Lea Michele lip synch her performance? Christina sang live and unfortunately what happened with the lyrics is human error...probably why most performers prerecord their Super Bowl appearances.

• really 3 years ago

She DID not lip sync it was live-wow get with the program

this girl Charice outsings both CA and Lea Michele:

watch?v=8WG4IkWqHtg&feature=related

watch?v=7T3eq_p8Z0M

I still like CA though - have been a fan of her for some time. Just pick yourself up and move on ...

• jiijiji 3 years ago

Charice had nothing to do with this so go spam some other forum. Why would she sing the National Anthem anyway?