Did you know that giving to others is good for your health? And since today, December 3, 2013 is 'Giving Tuesday', it's a great day to give!
Giving Tuesday is a day for giving thanks in every way possible. It's a national day of celebration and time for individuals, families, organizations, groups and others to find ways to celebrate and be thankful. On the heels of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, it's a special tradition established to highlight generosity.
According to the Cleveland Clinic, studies find many health benefits associated with giving, including:
- lower blood pressure
- increased self-esteem
- less depression
- lower stress levels
- longer life
- greater happiness
If you're looking for a way to give today as you celebrate Giving Tuesday, consider these ideas:
- Help the Children's Hospital of Richmond spread cheer and give $10 to help children in the hospital. It's easy by texting HEALTH to 50555 to donate $10 directly to CHoR. Click here for more information on CHoR's spreading cheer campaign in December.
- Post your message on Facebook to let others know how you plan to spread cheer and give to others. Use the hashtag #SpreadCheer and use just 6 words to post your message.
- Donate blood at the Virginia Blood Services and they will donate $1 on behalf of every donor in the Richmond area to Feedmore Food Bank. Click here to learn more.
- Write a letter to Santa and Macy's will donate $1 to Make-A-Wish America up to $1 million. Money will be used to grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions.
- Make a donation to 14 year old Brandon who has a rare skeletal condition and help him purchase a segway to make him more mobile. Click here to learn about Brandon.
- Volunteer time or donate to HomeAgain to help 3,000 homeless children in Richmond.
- December is the Annual Fundraising Event at Sweet Monday. Consider making a donation as thanks for all that you have.
- Offer to rake leaves or help a neighbor with chores.
- Bake cookies for an older adult who is lonely.
Giving Tuesday is a good time to help others and give thanks for all you have. Find a way to make a difference today.