A teenage girl died on the street after a pharmacist would not give her an EpiPen because she didn't have a prescription.
The Mail Online reports on Monday, Emma Sloan, 14, suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts after mistaking satay sauce for curry sauce at a Chinese restaurant in Dublin, Ireland. The girl then told her mother she was having trouble breathing.
The family quickly ran around the corner to the Hamilton Long pharmacy to get help, but a worker refused to give her an EpiPen without a prescription. The mother was advised to take her daughter to hospital but the girl collapsed on the street outside.
A doctor passing by tried to resuscitate her, as well as ambulance staff and firefighters, however, it was too late. The girl died.
Caroline Sloan, 40, told the Irish Herald, "My daughter died on a street corner with a crowd around her. I'm so angry I was not given the EpiPen to inject her. I was told to bring Emma to an (emergency) department. Emma was allergic to nuts and was very careful. How could a peanut kill my child?”
The Mail Online reported that Ireland's Children's Minister Frances Fitzgerald had called for an inquiry into the death.
The paper said that the pharmacy regulatory body, the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland, was reportedly examining the case.
An EpiPen is the name for an epinephrine autoinjector, which is a medical device used to deliver a measured dose of epinephrine, also known as adrenaline, using autoinjector technology, most frequently for the treatment of anaphylaxis.