A girl catches fire at a hospital in Oregon according to ABC News. On Feb. 19 it was reported that 11-year-old Ireland Lane -- a cancer survivor -- caught fire in her hospital room while painting. As far as what exactly happened, no one really knows. One minute she was painting and the next she was running out in to the hallway with her shirt bursting with flames.
"Our safety experts are working closely with the Oregon State Fire Marshal’s office on its investigation. We anxiously await the their findings and will certainly make adjustments if the cause was preventable," said Dr. Stacy Nicholson.
The girl caught fire at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. She is now recovering from third degree burns on her chest, neck, arms, and ears. Ireland was in the hospital for an "unrelated head injury" and she was scheduled to go home on the same day that she mysteriously caught on fire. As far as how she's holding up, her dad says she's "tough."
"She’s quite a tough one. She’s been through more than any child I’ve ever heard of, and to still walk around with a smile on her face and enjoy the things of the day that are going on, and be a kid is to me pretty amazing," said Stephen Lane.
The girl who caught fire at the hospital will hopefully get to go home soon. As her dad stated, she has been through a lot.
© Effie Orfanides 2013