Employees Only, a trendy, popular cocktail bar with a Prohibition-era theme in Manhattan's West Village, has the perfect winter drink for people who enjoy a crisp apple flavor with a long, spicy ginger finish. Their take on the ginger smash is the original Employees Only seasonal cocktail. It's medium dry and has contrasting flavors of juniper and tart cranberries.
"We set out to create a cocktail composed of ingredients that warm you up on a winter day," say Jason Kosmas and Dushan Zaric, co-owners of Employees Only. "The result was so tasty and fresh in aroma that it was a 'smash' from the start. It remains, to this day, one of our bestsellers."
- 2 thin slices ginger
- 9-10 fresh cranberries
- 1 ½ t superfine sugar
- 1 ½ fl oz Fords gin
- 1 ½ fl oz Berentzen Apfelkorn apple liqueur*
- ¾ fl oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. In a mixing glass, muddle the ginger, cranberries, and sugar.
2. Add the gin, apple liqueur, and lemon juice, and add enough ice to fill a rocks glass.
3. Cover and shake hard but briefly. Pour unstrained into a rocks glass and serve.
*Editor's note: If you can't find this particular brand, any apple liqueur will do (as long as it is not the green variety).