Bible-believers generally respect the gift of speaking in tongues, but often misunderstand the purpose of this spiritual gift. Speaking in tongues is not a natural ability which develops with practice. God specifically grants us with spiritual gifts through his mercy and grace. Paul relayed specific guidelines in which this gift occurs through the book of 1 Corinthians.
- Possessing the gift of tongues is not an issue of salvation for Bible-believers.
- Only one person will speak in tongues at a time.
- There must be a translator so that others will understand what is being spoken.
- If no one is available to translate the tongue, you must remain quiet and speak privately to God.
- Speaking in tongues does not serve to strengthen and individual, but to support the church.
- Anyone who possesses this gift should pray for interpretation.
God provides us with spiritual gifts to build up others and provide encouragement. Using the gift of tongues for our own purposes shows that we have forgotten to acknowledge who gave us the gift. Confess that you are powerless without Christ’s mercy and your gift will naturally flourish for His glory.