Back in 2009, I proclaimed that Goorin was my favorite hat manufacturer, and nothing about that has changed. In fact, despite being in the business of finding the next best thing and sharing those findings with you, good hat companies aren’t exactly a dime a dozen. This is why, instead of a sprawling article with hats from all over the place, you are treated to a concise gift guide featuring San Francisco’s own Goorin Bros.
Back in September, three fine Goorin Bros. hats were reviewed right here in this column. Each one was flawless, and since that review, each one has done duty as handsome accessory, chilly morning head-warmer, and defender against foul weather. They’re not just hats, they’re friends for the head.
- G.G. - an 8 panel felt Gatsby available in black and grey with tonal stitching, a leather paneled soft cotton twill sweatband, and tonal “Goorin” embroidery at the back - this timeless hat works as well with a t-shirt and jeans as it does with a crisp wool suit $40
- Tony Diamonti - made from easy-to-care-for polyester and rayon, this darted, three-panel ivy featuring a 2” brim is lined in wool plaid and features a stretchy microsuede sweatband - this is a classic ivy that is perfect for everyday or for adding a dash of style for an evening out $52
- Hard Eye - a low-profile flatcap available in brown, green, grey, and black, with a fine herringbone lining, Grosgrain sweatband, and 2” brim, featuring earflaps that can be worn folded up into the cap, up and out, or down around the ears - a perfect accompaniment for a feed of pints or protection from the cold winds of winter $45
But, of course, they have many more from which to choose. Here’s a few of my favorites:
- Grenadier Red Rock - a naturally water resistant, simple wool beanie with a six inch seam top that’s as stylish as it is perfect for the cool dampness of bay area winters $36
- Ted Goorin’s Cut & Sew Riley - lightweight and linen, and perfect for everyday wear whether it’s time to dress up or down - hand cut and hand sewn $98
- Heritage Heisenberg - the official Breaking Bad Heisenberg hat - a 100% wool felt pork pie hat from Rambouillet sheep in Texas - hand-crafted $149