Skip to main content
  1. Arts & Entertainment
  2. Movies

'Ghostbusters 3' coming to theaters in 2015?

See also

April 26, 2013

When you want to have a few laughs, who ya gonna call? How about a "Ghostbusters 3" filmmaking crew?

After decades of start and stop action, it seems the comedy will finally see the big screen. Producer and actor Dan Aykroyd is onboard and ready to go. Ivan Reitman will be returning as the helmer of the project and a script is up in the air as to whether or not it will contain contributions from Aykroyd, Reitman, Etan Coen and “The Office” writers, Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky.

Aykroyd told “ABC News” that the “Ghostbusters 3” screenplay is currently under a rewrite status and that he feels the work is going very well so far. He tells the news crew:

I know that we’re expecting half of the screenplay to be completed very soon. It should be into production by the fall and be shooting by the New Year. It’s very exciting. The Higgs Boson and the particle theories, gluons and mesons, that really gives us a scientific base in terms of our fictional storytelling, to open up to another dimension and have something horrible coming through.

The former “Ghostbusters” actor has stated the production process would be underway in 2009. A new start date came later that the production would begin in May 2011. The plan was adjusted once more for a spring of 2012 date to begin work on the third installment in the franchise. Before this latest announcement, it was said that summer of 2013 would see the process begin.

Bill Murray has been skeptical of the third installment, causing some of the delay. He needed to sign off on the script, claiming his reprisal in the role of Dr. Peter Venkman. Murray refused to read the script for a long time. There were rumors flying, claiming Murray had shredded the script and returned it with a note stating, “No one wants to pay money to see fat, old men chasing ghosts!” although it is difficult to clear out what is truth and what is rumor. It was clear, however, that Murray didn’t want to see the movie made at all.

According to Aykroyd, Murray has lost his property rights to “Ghostbusters 3,” which his lack of cooperation on the project will not stop the forward movement. The latest news is that the shooting will actually begin and chances are high that “Ghostbusters 3” will appear on the big screen in 2015.

Comments

Advertisement

Arts & Entertainment

  • Celebrity convicts
    These celebrities have all spent time in the slammer
    Video
    Get Details
  • Britney Spears
    Britney Spears' sexy new video has been watched over 7 million times in two days
    See Details
  • John Travolta
    John Travolta is only one famous face who practices Scientology
    Camera
    20 Photos
  • Britney Haynes' baby
    Britney Haynes of 'Big Brother' fame shares her daughter's health struggles
    Latest Updates
  • Peter Criss
    Peter Criss of KISS fame revealed his personal battle with breast cancer
    Celebrity Buzz
  • Kate Upton
    Kate Upton shows us she is just like the average woman with no makeup on
    Video
    Watch Now

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about Examiner.com and apply today!