I went on a quest to learn the answer to "how does the Walker Art Center acquire the pieces it exhibits." And I didn't get an answer to that, but here's what I did hear from the Walker. They had this to say:
Curators at the Walker Art Center do consider works from local artists and accept proposals for having work exhibited here. The review process can take as long as 6-8 weeks. Please be aware, however, that the volume of submissions received means that not every submission will receive a response. Proposals can be sent to:
Visual Arts Department
Walker Art Center
1750 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403
If you're interested in exhibiting at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, consider the "Foot in the Door" exhibition, which is JUST around the corner!
The Minnesota Artists Exhibition Program (MAEP) and Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA) extend an invitation to all artists within Minnesota to participate in “Foot in the Door 4.” This popular exhibition occurs every 10 years and celebrates the diversity and enthusiasm of Minnesota’s visual artists. Since 1980, “Foot in the Door” has steadily grown in momentum, attracting more and more artists each show. In 2000, more than 1,700 artists were represented in the MAEP Galleries and in the corresponding online exhibition.This is a unique opportunity for artists —including you —to have their work on display in the MIA.
Join MAEP for the exhibition and events surrounding this special arts opportunity.
The exhibition runs from February 19 through June 13, 2010.
- All submitted artwork will be exhibited as long as the piece does not exceed one cubic foot.
- Submissions can be made in person February 4–6, 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.;
- or Sunday, February 7, 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts;
- or received by mail by February 8: MAEP’s “Foot in the Door 4,” 2400 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55404.
- Each artist is invited to submit • one work of art.
- Each artwork is limited to • one cubic foot. For example, a two-dimensional work (including frame) cannot extend beyond 12 × 12 inches square; a three-dimensional work (including the base) must fit within a 12-inch cube.
- Any medium* is allowed and must arrive ready to hang or install. •
- Video artists: • This year we will be including time-based and video works that are 80 seconds or less. Stay tuned for more information on how and when to upload videos to the “Foot in the Door 4” channel on YouTube.
- Because of the number of artworks submitted to “Foot in the Door,” the MAEP cannot • accommodate individual requests for placing work in specific locations.
- The MIA cannot insure works during the exhibition.•
- Artwork will be accepted for display only and will not be for sale.•
Please contact email@example.com with questions (including the PDF entry form - which I also have so if you want, you can contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org)