Beginning at noon on July 18, Barnes and Noble stores across the country will participate in an event they are calling Get Pop-Cultured. For the next three weeks, Barnes and Noble will have contests, activities, and giveaways as well as special sales all connected to popular culture -- from comics, to television, to young adult fiction and film. Local Barnes and Noble stores at Bridge Street and Valley Bend will be a part of this event which ends on August 10. Most activities are family-friendly and free; call to your favorite location to check their participation in this event. All giveaways are while supplies last.
The following list is of the scheduled events for Get Pop-Cultured.
- July 18 -- Kick-off Weekend -- At noon, customers can get samples chapters of upcoming new releases which may include copies of sample chapters from authors like Marie Lu, Scott Westerfeld, and Jason Segel.
- July 19 -- Costume Contest at 5 p.m. -- Participants in the contest should come dressed as their favorite popular culture figure. The field is wide open: think pop star, classic movie star, or maybe your favorite Doctor Who character. This event is all ages approved and includes giveaways and activities.
- July 23 -- Batman Day -- In celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Batman comic, stores will have activities, stories, and refreshments. Also available while supplies last will be a reprint of the "Detective Comics #27." A drawing will be held for a mini-bat signal.
- Beginning on July 23 and ending July 27 stores will feature special deals on DC graphic novels as part of DC Comics Spectacular.
- July 24 - July 27 -- In recognition of San Diego ComicCon, stores will have limited edition Funko items available.
- July 26 -- DC Comics Day -- Events for DC Day are divided based on age. Kids will get to participate in storytime, crafts, and an age-appropriate trivia contest from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m. Teens and adults can be a part of an exclusive costume contest and trivia challenge from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m.
- August 1 -- Cool off with Olaf -- Event begins at 7 p.m. and is all ages appropriate. There will be storytime, crafts, a costume contest, and a "Frozen" sing-a-long. Guests may also have the opportunity to get their pictures made with Olaf.
- August 2 -- Marvel Comics Day -- Events in celebration of all things Marvel comics will be similar to those for DC Day. Kids will have storytime, crafts, and a trivia contest from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m., while teen and adult events will run from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. From 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. Captain America will appear at the Bridge Street location.
- August 3 -- James Patterson Day -- Because Patterson has written books for a variety of audiences, stores will feature special one-day offers on all of his books. At 2 p.m., there will also be a kid's craft event and postcard making.
- August 4 -- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ninja Training Party-- Giveaways, storytime and crafts will once again be features of the day; however, at 2 p.m. a martial arts and karate show will be held at the Bridge Street location.
- August 9 and 10 -- Page and Screen Weekend -- Saturday and Sunday night starting at 5 p.m. guests can play a selection of board games provided by the stores. The event may also include raffles and giveaways featuring prizes from "Game of Thrones" and "Doctor Who" among other fan favorites.
Can't get enough pop culture events? Head down to the Barnes and Noble at the Summit in Birmingham on August 9th to meet author Lou Anders. This book launch starting at 4 p.m. will feature Anders talking about "Frostborn," the first novel in his Throne and Bones series.