Although most of us have no intention of setting in motion the forces which could burn hundreds of homes, millions of acres of forest and affect thousands of lives, it takes just one careless action.
That's why it so important to teach our children a few simple things they can do to help prevent future disaster and one fun way to do this is to ‘Get Your Smokey On’ and take the pledge!
Taking the pledge is easy. Simply go to www.smokeybear.com/take-pledge. Once there, go over the following information with your children:
- Use caution and common sense before lighting any fire.
- Understand that any fire I or my friends create could become a wildfire.
- Understand and practice proper guidelines whenever I or my friends create a fire outdoors.
- Never, ever leave any fire unattended.
- Make sure any fire that I or my friends create is properly and completely extinguished before moving on.
- Properly extinguish and discard of smoking materials.
- Be aware of my surroundings and be careful when operating equipment during periods of dry or hot weather.
- Speak up and step in when I see someone in danger of starting a wildfire.
After you’ve discussed each point, there will be an easy online pledge form to complete. That’s it. A little time to educate your family today and tomorrow's big disaster may never happen!
** Want to see how many Colorado families have taken the pledge? Click here! **
Want new homeschooling articles delivered to your inbox? Subscribe to my homeschooling column @ Littleton Homeschool Examiner
Examiner is hiring! Click here for more information.