Van Amstel came up with the LaBlast idea after season 2 of “Dancing With the Stars,” when he was paired with actress Lisa Rinna. She helped him launch a partner-based dance fitness class, and in 2011, van Amstel launched LaBlast classes at Crunch Gyms nationwide. After that came this five-DVD workout series.
Unlike some dance-based workouts, you’re really learning ballroom moves in this series, which includes the following DVDs:
- Level 1, Let’s Dance: Learn the basic steps to the Cha Cha Cha, Salsa and Jive, while burning calories and refining your dance skills. A tutorial section is included to give you one-on-one instruction with a step-by-step choreography breakdown.
- Level 2, Turn It Up: Intensity increases and new moves are added to the Level 1 dances, and a new dance style is introduced – Disco.
- Level 3, Hot ‘n’ Spicy: Increase the intensity by adding the Brazilian Samba and the Spanish Paso Doble, and combine more challenging choreography and advanced fitness routines.
- Level 4, Twist ‘n’ Burn: Add light weights and muscle toning dance routines to focus on specific body parts. Moves from different styles of dance are designed to work specific areas, including long arm movements from the Merengue to tone the upper body, “twisting” to slim and tone the midsection, and Jive Kicks to tone the lower body.
- Level 5, Blast a Move: It’s a similar format to Twist ‘n’ Burn, with a higher intensity, using weights to focus on muscle toning with six different 15-minute workouts designed to target specific parts of the body.
All the workouts are set in a big, airy dance studio with van Amstel leading upbeat, fast-paced workouts with plenty of background dancers.