September 25 is National One-Hit Wonder Day, so we've collected some favorites that are sure to replay in your head all day. You're welcome.
They're memorable, catchy, and they are everywhere for a short time. One-hit wonders top the music charts but are usually released by unknown artists. As the emerging band or solo artist enjoys the rush of their first 15 minutes of fame, fans start to get excited to hear what's next. But that next hit may never come because one-hit wonders are the curse of musicians who don't think ahead to make the second act better than the first.
And while one-hit wonders are songs by artists who can't seem to strike gold twice, that one song, because it captivates the culture for a specific period of time, will go on to become a nostalgic pop-culture reference for an eternity. That's what makes it a wonder.
Listed in alphabetical order, the following 33 songs, like the fate of the artists' next top hit, has no rhyme or reason, but they continue to resonate. And while the list covers a variety of genres and eras, the 80s appears to be the champion decade for one-hit wonders.
- "(I Just) Died in Your Arms" Cutting Crew
- "Always Something There To Remind Me" Naked Eyes
- "American Pie" Don McLean
- "Bitter Sweet Symphony" The Verve
- "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" Eiffel 65
- "Breakfast At Tiffany's" Deep Blue Something
- "Closing Time"Semisonic
- "Come On Eileen" Dexys Midnight Runners
- "Der Kommissar" After the Fire
- "Fade Into You" Mazzy Star
- "Funkytown" Lipps
- "I Melt With You" Modern English
- "I Ran" A Flock Of Seagulls
- "I'm Too Sexy" Right Said Fred
- "Ice Ice Baby" Vanilla Ice
- "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" Iron Butterfly
- "Life In A Northern Town" The Dream Academy
- "Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of...)" Lou Bega
- "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" Crash Test Dummies
- "Party all the Time" Eddie Murphy
- "Somebody's Watching Me" Rockwell
- "Spirit In The Sky"Norman Greenbaum
- "Take On Me"A-Ha
- "The Final Countdown" Europe
- "The Freshmen" The Verve Pipe
- "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" Timbuk 3
- "The Safety Dance" Men Without Hats
- "The Way" Fastball
- "We're Not Gonna Take It" Twisted Sister
- "What's Up?" 4 Non Blondes
- "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" Dead Or Alive
- "Your Woman" White Town
One-hit fanatics will likely notice the exclusion of "Mickey" by Toni Basil. Apologies to Tommy Tutone, but that song can't make this particular list. Are there any other major misses?