If you are a parent and your kid is going to school for the first time or returning, then a great back-to-school treat to have them take to class are the Tie-Dyed Cupcakes. Gwyndolyn Wilkerson from Kyle, Texas, says these treats make you “take a trip back to the sixties with these sweetly psychedelic cupcakes. Each is a simple white cake, but tinting the batter all the colors of the rainbow makes them funky and fun!”
OVERALL TIME: Preparation: 30 minutes Baking Time: 25 minutes plus chilling
CREATES: 18 helpings
- One regular size bag of white cake mix
- One-and-a-half cups of lemon-lime soda
- Neon food coloring
- One can of vanilla icing
- Rainbow sprinkles
One cupcake is 235 calories, nine grams of fat (three grams of saturated fat), 0% cholesterol, 258 milligrams of sodium, and 38 grams of carbohydrates, 0% fiber, and one gram of protein.
- In a big bowl, mix soda and cake mix. Stir on slow speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for one minute. Split the combination between five bowls. Add a few drops of food coloring to each bowl; mix just until combined.
- Drop a spoonful of one color of batter into each of 18 paper-lined muffin cups. Layer with left-over colored mix until muffin cups are two-thirds full.
- Heat at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18-20 minutes or until a pick inserted near the middle comes out spotless. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to chill completely.
- Ice tops and decorate with sprinkles. Yield: One-and-a-half dozen.
Note: In this recipe, lemon-lime soda is used in place of the water, egg whites and oil typically used when making the white cake mix. One-and-a-half cups of diet lemon-lime soda can be used instead of regular soda for a lower-sugar choice.