Lea Michele attended Nickelodeon's 27th Annual Kids' Choice Awards on Saturday night wearing one of the hottest celebrity hairstyles, the faux bob. Frank Barbosa, celebrity stylist, has shared his hair care secrets on how to recreate this latest hair trend, which has also been seen on A-listers such as Taylor Swift, Nicole Richie and Kerry Washington.
“Glee” star Leah Michele stunned at the Kids' Choice Awards held at the USC Galen Center on March 29, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. The 27-year-old wore a faux bob with choppy bangs accented by ombré tips. The celebrity hairstyle has gained in popularity with more starlets now opting for this latest hair trend because of its versatility. It can be loose and playful as Leah Michele wore for the KCAs or molded and elegant as Taylor Swift had worn at a formal engagement in December of 2013.
Frank Barbosa is a renowned celebrity hairstylist who has worked on movies with stars such as Anne Hathaway, Kate Hudson, Jennifer Garner, and Sarah Jessica Parker. He shared his hair care secrets with the Hair and Nails Examiner to create the faux bob, otherwise known as “tucking.” Barbosa explained that a faux bob is a great way to alter one’s look without drastic measures.
Tucking gives the illusion of shorter hair without cutting your locks off. Simply take the ends of the hair rolling them under or even over. Worn curly or straight, it’s an easy way to re-invent your image and try out any length temporarily.
Leah Michele opted for an “asymmetrical or A-line tuck” at the 2014 Kids’ Choice Awards with long tendrils, which framed her face.
- To achieve a faux bob like Leah Michele at the KCAs, the hair must have some length, at least to the shoulders, just enough to roll under or over.
- To start, use a great working hair spray like IT&LY Pure Definition, which allows you to create a smooth finish or enhance texture as the hairstyling tool imparts shine and a natural hold.
- To begin, have your foundation ready to go. This means having elements like your part, texture choice or fringe already in place.
- Then, loosely gather the bottom portion of your ends and tuck under into a roll and secure with bobby pins. This is when you can also decide how short or long you would like to go.
- TIP: Remember, for straight hair; opt for a paddle brush to mold a smoother, sleeker “tuck." For a wavy look, use your fingers to arrange the curls in place, as brushing will only disturb the texture.
- Once tucked, work the style with your fingers to fan out the sides.
- For added volume and tendrils, use the tail end of your comb to lift or pull out shorter pieces.
- Finish with more IT&LY Pure Definition Hair Spray for shine and endurance.
Barbosa suggests to add an accessory, a headband or to slide the hair behind one ear for various looks suitable for events that are formal or fun, as Leah Michele wore at the 2014 Kids’ Choice Awards.
©Deirdre Haggerty, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior written permission and consent from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC, DBA Examiner.com.
For more Hair & Nails information from the author, click subscribe or follow Deirdre on Twitter, like her on Facebook, read her blog or email her any comments or questions to DeirdreAHaggerty@gmail.com.